Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just like a woman
A boat is a hole into which you pour money... wait... I left something out.

A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money

Last week I noticed an absence of a familiar noise. My aft bilge pump going on. I lifted the hatch and sho'nough she had about 6" of water in there. I flipped the main dash switch and it pumped out. Hmmm... something is wrong with the auto system. I ran down the check list.

float switch
fuse
wires

I figured I'd look at it later after fishing. Well, we got back & I was cooked. So with 3 pumps on the boat I wasn't too worried. All week long this affected my sleep and today I finally got to it. After checking the fuses and wires, and determining I had power on all the right wires, it was either a connection or the switch. It ended up being the switch. So after about 90 minutes of being semi-inverted with my head in a hole and my arms bent in ways god never intended I removed the old switch, put in the new one and respliced all the wires.

BUT, while I was doing this I noticed an unusual amount of water. I opened another hatch mid-ships and found water running in about as fast a a garden hose could supply!

It seems my marina repacked my stuffing boxes and one of them the adjustment colar came loose. So I tightened it and thought how easily I could have lost the megabyte!

I'm so glad I fixed that pump!

No off for a quick smoke with my high school buddy!

http://www.john.theskipper.com/about2dom.html
Well it's a good thing you found that leak in time!  Oh, and you're right about boats.  What's that they always say about the 2 happiest days of a boat owner's life:

- The day he buys the boat

- The day he sells the boat!Tongue