Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing burn issues
I am a little anal about it too, but like most said, a good cigar will burn well or simply correct itself.

One thing to remember, after a touch-up, the cigar will be hotter than normal, so if you pull right after you touch-up, the smoke may be a little harsh. 30 secs and maybe a small purge will be fine, just food for thought.

And by the way, get a torch for yourself.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7745

cant beat it, especially for the price.

For the record, the best burning sticks I have ever smoked are a $20 Ashton ESG (thanks skipper) and a $4 El Cobre (my fav. cigar under $15). If you are interested in some El Cobres, I am doing a box split here:

http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/vi...forum_id=9
ya i also use a torch lighter...although mines is a 3 flame which i think is over kill and a waste of butane..i need to pick up a single flame..because this 3 flame goes thru butane like me thru a case of beer...lol

All that has been mentioned prior to the posting works. The spit, touching up with a tourch and rotating are all acceptable methods. The spit works realy good if you have a stick tracking down the length of the stick in a line. Hope that everything works out!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

scott81425 Wrote:i rarely touch it up. i don't know why. probably because i light my cigar away from where i smoke it (weird, i know). but i've found that putting the slower burning side of the cigar to the bottom, where it can get more oxygen, helps. as does a little dab of spit on the faster burning side. but if it gets too serious, i have to institute the help of some flame, but it's rare.

I agree... almost. Most of the time I get uneven burn issues rotating the slower burning side to the top has almost always done the trick. I don't know why exactly but it never fails for me(might be the more heated portion on the bottom burning it off while the heat rises, i dunno). Of course, both may work i suppose. A friend of mine showed me the spit trick(i licked) and it furthers the success of that method.

Also, if it seems a common problem throughout alot of your cigars, maybe be sure to sip your cigars rather than smoking them too heavily. I used to draw heavy and almost constantly and not only did I often get an uneven burn, but also got some unpleasantly acidic tastes. No buenoSad!

Either way, I hope you figure out what works best for you[thumbsup]
I try to let it correct itself or use the spit method coupled with putting the side thats not burning towards the top. Torching it is always a last resort...
"HAVE LONGSHIP, WILL HERF!!!"
Weird I've been using the "spit" method without any guidance.
As much as I like 'em, I don't think I want to lick my cigars. Big Grin
The great Ambassador taught me an awesome trick when we first herfed together. If your stick gets crazy with the burn issues instead of torching the outside of the wrapper. Knock off the ashes and then purge the cigar. Take your torch and re light like you did to start the cigar. After this purge the cigar again by blowing out and puffing on the cigar for about 3 rotations. You'll save the wrapper on the outside and not to mention the cigar tastes good as new.
BaileyCAO Wrote:The great Ambassador taught me an awesome trick when we first herfed together. If your stick gets crazy with the burn issues instead of torching the outside of the wrapper. Knock off the ashes and then purge the cigar. Take your torch and re light like you did to start the cigar. After this purge the cigar again by blowing out and puffing on the cigar for about 3 rotations. You'll save the wrapper on the outside and not to mention the cigar tastes good as new.
I tried this today with an H. Upmann Mag 46. It worked like a charm! [thumbsup]