Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
got a wsm coming in!!
the smokey mountain has been delivered and assembled. should i season this thing or should i just grab some meat and throw it in there?
(01-06-2010, 05:44 PM)scott81425 Wrote: the smokey mountain has been delivered and assembled. should i season this thing or should i just grab some meat and throw it in there?

Coat the inside with shortning and let it chug along at 300 for about 2-3 hrs before throwing any meat on and you will be golden.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
(01-06-2010, 06:41 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 05:44 PM)scott81425 Wrote: the smokey mountain has been delivered and assembled. should i season this thing or should i just grab some meat and throw it in there?

Coat the inside with shortning and let it chug along at 300 for about 2-3 hrs before throwing any meat on and you will be golden.

Yup I second what Mark said! Also in doing this you can find out how to control the temps and not worry about messing a meal. I think when I made my smoker I rub it with Shortening let it cook for awhile while holding a steady 250. Well after smelling the smoke I decided to throw some wings on there!
the first pork shoulder just came out of the smoker. smoked it about 10 and a half hours, in outside temperatures of about 15 degrees, and never had to add more charcoal. i'm loving this smoker!
anyone use one of these? i used it the other night to make some pulled pork. used the minion method to light the coals. held temp perfectly for hours. took the shoulder off, and closed the vents to snuff out the fire. when i went to clean it up, there was still a bunch of unused, or barely used charcoal briquettes in the bottom. can i fire those up, or will that have a bad affect on the food?