Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
global warming?
it's funny. For every scientist that states there is more ice now than ever, you can find 2 or 3 that state otherwise.

I saw a show NOT on global warming that was exploring some of the ice in and around Greenland. The constant comment was that there is ice melting now that is thousands of years old. The "ice mass" is shrinking.

Similarly there has been much talk of the polar bears around Alaska drowning because the distance between ice masses is increasing (another way of saying the ice is receding) and the bears find out too late they cannot make it to their target ice for a quick meal.

When I get a chance I will give this site a major looking at. Meanwhile, I have been involved with weather for a great many years (longer than I have been smoking cigars). I attend all sorts of symposiums and conferences, I have provided weather info to NOAA as an official observer... It is a little more than a hobby to me. Of all the scientists I have heard form, the universal agreement is the planet is changing due to greenhouse warming. I never heard anything to the contrary.
I am always open in thought Skipper.  Thanks! 
US_Tank Wrote:Did you know that the Arctic had as much ice cap on December first as it usually does in February.

There is also over 1million square killometers of additional ice fields this year in Antarctica and its summer down there.

One volcano puts out more carbon emissions that all humans combined possible could.

Lift the roof from your house, pack a room full of people and tell me who still needs a jacket.

Mother Nature is well equipped to handle earth herself.  We as humans cannot possibly affect the climate.

even if I believed that, anyone who has stood behind a city bus as it pulls away knows that all this shit our industrialized society belches out cant be good for us.

The planet will be fine, us humans, not so much.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
My mother is one of those "humans have nothing to do with Global Warming" types. She believes this because a conservative AM radio talk show host in her area says so.

She won't watch "An Inconvenient Truth" because it's too inconvenient, I guess.

What gets me are the masses of people who are being suckered by corporations. Fixing this is not as hard as you'd think. If everyone in the US switched ONE incandescent lightbulb with an LED bulb, we could shut down one nuclear power plant -- permanently.

One frikkin' bulb!

Talking with some people about global warming is like bashing your head against a cement wall. There are far too many people out there who think that once you admit that greenhouse gasses are a problem, you have to start wearing Birkenstocks and vote communist.

We're in the process of being duped by corporations, yet again. It's like when the American Tobacco Instute refuted those "crackpot scientists" who linked cigarettes with lung cancer. They trotted out innumerable well-paid scientists and doctors for years and years, all saying that the other scientists were wrong. Even after *everyone* knew cigarettes kill, the ATI still kept up the charade.

Turn on the radio in Las Vegas, and you'll get non-stop ads from "Americans for Balanced Energy Choices" -- extolling the virtues of coal power plants. I hear at least 20 such ads each day.

The ads all boil down to "If you vote democrat, electricity prices will go up, and granny here won't be able to afford to keep her lights on."

Hogwash!

Here's what you can do -- right now -- to reduce your carbon footprint.

1) Give your car a tuneup if it needs one.
2) Replace as many lightbulbs as is convenient with LEDs (those fluorescent jobs are actually worse for the environment because what goes in to making them).
3) Kill as many "electricity vampires" as possible - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...065912.htm

And guess what! You'll save a lot of money while reducing greenhouse gasses. We're talking hundreds of dollars each year. Spend it on cigars.

Anyone selling "carbon vouchers" needs to be put up against a wall. This is going to take effort on everyone's part.

ScoopLV Wrote:Anyone selling "carbon vouchers" needs to be put up against a wall. This is going to take effort on everyone's part.
Thats stuff is baloney.  Just something for rich people to buy peace of mind instead of doing something for real change.

The other thing that totally irks me is that when some northern town gets their first snowfall earlier than normal, or if they get more snow than normal, people jump up and down and say, "See! Where's your global warming now????"

Global warming doesn't mean that Jerkwater, US is going to be warmer this year. It means that the global average is going up SLOWLY. That doesn't mean much at the equator (a degree or two), but it's a big deal at the poles.

Weather is getting weirder -- with bizarre things like a hurricane in the South Atlantic (never before recorded by anyone, anywhere). Tundra is melting so fast that homes built in Alaska are sinking. How about a couple years ago when we ran out of names for all the hurricanes?

Global warming means more drought, more intense weather, and general chaos on a planetary scale. Global Warming may not be "conducting the orchestra" but it is sitting in the 2nd-chair position and demanding a promotion.

ScoopLV Wrote:My mother is one of those "humans have nothing to do with Global Warming" types. She believes this because a conservative AM radio talk show host in her area says so.

What gets me are the masses of people who are being suckered by corporations. Fixing this is not as hard as you'd think. If everyone in the US switched ONE incandescent lightbulb with an LED bulb, we could shut down one nuclear power plant -- permanently.

One frikkin' bulb!

Talking with some people about global warming is like bashing your head against a cement wall. There are far too many people out there who think that once you admit that greenhouse gasses are a problem, you have to start wearing Birkenstocks and vote communist.

We're in the process of being duped by corporations, yet again. It's like when the American Tobacco Instute refuted those "crackpot scientists" who linked cigarettes with lung cancer. They trotted out innumerable well-paid scientists and doctors for years and years, all saying that the other scientists were wrong. Even after *everyone* knew cigarettes kill, the ATI still kept up the charade.

Turn on the radio in Las Vegas, and you'll get non-stop ads from "Americans for Balanced Energy Choices" -- extolling the virtues of coal power plants. I hear at least 20 such ads each day.

The ads all boil down to "If you vote democrat, electricity prices will go up, and granny here won't be able to afford to keep her lights on."

Hogwash!

2) Replace as many lightbulbs as is convenient with LEDs (those fluorescent jobs are actually worse for the environment because what goes in to making them).
3) Kill as many "electricity vampires" as possible - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/09/020926065912.htm

And guess what! You'll save a lot of money while reducing greenhouse gasses. We're talking hundreds of dollars each year. Spend it on cigars.

Anyone selling "carbon vouchers" needs to be put up against a wall. This is going to take effort on everyone's part.

Why would you want to shut down a nuclear power plant?  We need more of them for our growth.  The problem with extreme environmentalism is that it chokes economic growth.  Sure we need to be stewards of the economy but we are still a growing nation with energy needs.

I am a God fearing person and I believe that God put us on this earth to use it. 
US_Tank Wrote:
ScoopLV Wrote:My mother is one of those "humans have nothing to do with Global Warming" types. She believes this because a conservative AM radio talk show host in her area says so.

One frikkin' bulb!

Hogwash!

3) Kill as many "electricity vampires" as possible - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/09/020926065912.htm

Why would you want to shut down a nuclear power plant?  We need more of them for our growth.  The problem with extreme environmentalism is that it chokes economic growth.  Sure we need to be stewards of the economy but we are still a growing nation with energy needs.

I am a God fearing person and I believe that God put us on this earth to use it. 

I dont see how this hampers growth, if we are smarter with our energy, we can contrinue to grow without constantly searching for new resources.  I do not think for a second that we could be a viable economy without energy production, I just think we waste so much as it is that if we did simple things like Scoop suggests, we could continue to grow without having to endlessly search for more and more resources. We just have to be less wasteful. 

TomC
Yes I agree we need to conserve.  But our national demand for energy is rising.  We need to stop sending our economical dollars to OPEC nations.  We need to drill here on our continents.  Keep our money here.  In the meantime, we need to find alternatives.  But government regulation to car companies of miles per gallon is not the answer.  Let the free market dictate this.

ND is a huge coal mining state.  We ship in by rail to Duluth.  It gets on the Mesabi Miner ship and goes to Cleveland, Ohio for disbursement there.  We need to continue with use of coal as its a great source of energy.

Nuclear Energy needs to be progressed.  If we don't states like California could be in trouble.  10 years of nuclear waste can fit into a small room in terms of space. 

Cool pics I took last August.  There was 60,000 tons of ND coal on this ship headed to the Buckeye state.

[Image: IMG_2354.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2360.jpg]
[user=932]US_Tank[/user] wrote:
Quote:Why would you want to shut down a nuclear power plant?  We need more of them for our growth.  The problem with extreme environmentalism is that it chokes economic growth.  Sure we need to be stewards of the economy but we are still a growing nation with energy needs.

Why would I want to shut down a nuclear power plant? Because the government wants to store all the radioactive waste 25 miles from my back yard. I don't see too many people raising their hand and saying, "Yeah, park your depleted uranium and plutonium in my neighborhood. I want to see more leukemia around here!"

I am hardly an "enviromental extremist" -- I eat veal, wear fur, travel by jet, etc.

But I'm pretty sure that when God said, "Go forth and multiply," He didn't mean, "Go choke My creation with toxic waste and noxious fumes."

Enviromentalism is going to be big business. Being eco-friendly and turning a profit are not mutually exclusive -- unless you're in the coal or oil industry. And guess who's doing all the advertising/lobbying saying global warming is a hoax?

I don't know about you, but I don't really care if the Saudis make more oil money this year. And the coal industry could dry up tomorrow and nobody would really care. They're hardly the portrait of responsible industry.

Finally, we are not a "growing nation." We're all grown up. We lead the world in production and consumption. It's high time we start leading the world in environmental stewardship.