Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can you tell the difference between 720 and 1080p?
i currently have a 72'' hdtv 1080p and im in the market for a new tv for my bedroom..somewhere around 42''-50'' my question is can you really tell the difference or notice a difference between 720p and 1080p? im looking at 2 tv's

a 42'' samsung plasma 720p-$500
a 46'' dynex lcd 1080p-$500

In that size range it will be very difficult to see a difference between the two. Resolution is the most recognizable statistic about a tv so everyone things it is the most important. Bottom line is it is not. Contrast Ratio is by far more important. Now back to your original question.
This should answer your question
http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/
--Mike
This guy (Dave / Mike) knows his stuff.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(11-14-2010, 02:55 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: This guy (Dave / Mike) knows his stuff.

you mean dike? or mave? or?
(11-14-2010, 02:47 PM)wtfdic Wrote: In that size range it will be very difficult to see a difference between the two. Resolution is the most recognizable statistic about a tv so everyone things it is the most important. Bottom line is it is not. Contrast Ratio is by far more important. Now back to your original question.
This should answer your question
http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

thanx man

The only pure 1080p content comes from high definition DVDs like Blue Ray and HD DVD. Regular DVDs are way below that, hawing just 480p or 576p. You also get HD content from TV broadcasts but for now only 1080i and 720p. Basically 1080i offers pretty much the same amount of detail as 1080p but the quality of fast moving scenes is a bit inferior to 1080p. 720p content will of course look the same (or very similar) on a 1080p screen as it does on a 720p screen because what also matters is the content resolution not just the screen resolution. A 720p frame has roughly about 1 million pixels. Compared to it, a 1080p frame has 2 million pixels. As you see, the amount of detail doubles. But ONLY if your video source is sending 1080.

For the most part, consider your video source AND the distance you will be viewing the TV from. Most 720's are fine for bedrooms, kitchens, baths, bars. If you plan to use the TV later for video games, or to connect your computer, then I would pay a little more and get the 1080. (For living room, max it out man!! That is your main viewing area with surround sound, HD, games and other gadgets.)

On top of all that, you also have to consider the light source inside the TV. The newest and best (I feel) are the LED backlit screens. Low power use, don't give off as much heat as a plasma or regular flat screen. More money but you will save on electric and cooling in the summer.

I have an older Sony 52" panel on my living room wall (3 yrs old). LOVE it, but wish it was a LED backlit. The amount of heat the TV gives off will raise the room temperature many degrees. I'll kick on the PS3 to play MAG and between the TV and the PS3 you are sweating your ass off in about an hour. You can put your hand 2" in front of the screen and feel the heat pouring off the TV, not to mention out of the top of the unit. Compared to the 60 projection I had before, this thing can cook dinner for you in about an hour. Its great in the winter, but in the summer the living room is always the hottest room in the house!

thanx for the info boss, the tv will be for my bedroom and the viewing distance will be about 8-10 feet and i will have my hd direct tv box on it with my blu ray player

Then go 1080! HD and Blu Ray are 1080.

Using a 720 TV for Blue Ray is like putting ketchup on fillet! But seriously, you have high quality signal so why not take advantage of it versus having to down convert it to 720p viewing? Smile
(11-14-2010, 05:03 PM)Admin Wrote: Then go 1080! HD and Blu Ray are 1080.

Using a 720 TV for Blue Ray is like putting ketchup on fillet! But seriously, you have high quality signal so why not take advantage of it versus having to down convert it to 720p viewing? Smile

yeah i agree..i think id rather have a 42'' 1080p over a 46-50'' 720p

yeah, smaller and better, bigger doesn't always matter
No Justice, No Peace!
(11-14-2010, 05:42 PM)nayslayer Wrote: yeah, smaller and better, bigger doesn't always matter
lmfao