Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying things online
being someone that purchases nearly all of his cigars online (i don't have a local b&m) i can share a bit of my experience. eric and al are absolutely awesome to deal with, as is famous. atlantic is another one that is awesome. i've had problems with cigars, specifically their wrappers, and the one thing nearly every cigar i've had problems with has come from ci. great prices, great service, but i am suspect of their storage system and handling of cigars. and i'm not just talking about one or 2, i'm talking about whole boxes. however, i've bought some stuff for my dad from there, and he's never had a problem. maybe i'm just unlucky.
When first starting out, I ordered everything online with the exception of when going to JR's. Then, do to some threads on SC1 and another board, I found 3 local B/M's that I use almost exclusively. In the last 7-8 months, I've even narrowed that down to one. With that one relationship, I get treated better than any of you guys. Tongue

Just kidding. I believe anyone who has contacted my crack dealer has been more than satisfied with service, quality of product, and price. And I even get to pack some of your orders, so I know it's down with love.

Seriously, with PA now talking about excise tax, and more states joining the ranks of going after purchases made online for back taxes (you are supposed to claim your tax due on your state tax return if your state has an excise tax on tobacco) like CA,MI,WI & I have read articles where several other states are looking at doing this right now, GA being one of those. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want the tax man coming and telling me I owe thousands of dollars for previous purchases.

Going back to what Skip said about Taxes....what kind of trouble. The owner and friend at my b&m told me not to buy stuff online from other states cause....he didnt say anything just like what skip said"get in trouble"

Will I get taxed eventually?

or will Uncle Sam give me a slap on the wristBig Grin

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:Going back to what Skip said about Taxes....what kind of trouble. The owner and friend at my b&m told me not to buy stuff online from other states cause....he didnt say anything just like what skip said"get in trouble"

See my post above.
Well, I'm not up on the most current state of things, but several states have, I believe, at least made noises and grumbles and threats of going after online taxes on tobacco products specifically.

And with California taxes as high as they are, and California revenues stretched as thin as they are . . . yeah, it could happen. Say you bought $1000 in cigars over the course of a year (or a month, if you're Mark) . . . and a year later you get a bill from your state tax assessor for $450 . . . not fun, right?

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. If you ARE worried, get a prepaid cash card. Hard to trace something that doesn't have your name on it back to you. Safest way to buy online anyway---no connection to your identity or "real" accounts.

NANPâ„¢
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
sergione Wrote:Going back to what Skip said about Taxes....what kind of trouble. The owner and friend at my b&m told me not to buy stuff online from other states cause....he didnt say anything just like what skip said"get in trouble"

This has nothing to do with Uncle Sam.. This is Auntie State. State sales taxes and in some cases tobacco taxes. The state could come after you and provide you with a bit more than a slap on the wr1st.
the "slap" would include payment of all past taxes (by their calculations), interest and penalties.
Having said that, I still buy online and intend to continue to do so.
You're also supposed to report all purchases made online where tax was not collected.  Trick is to throw the dog an occassional bone.  Makes them a lot less agressive.
There is a line on the Ohio Income Tax form to calculate the tax you need to pay on online purchses.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
i haver never and will never pay this tax. The only exception is if I get nailed.
ColbyPants Wrote:There is a line on the Ohio Income Tax form to calculate the tax you need to pay on online purchses.

TomC
Sad  yeah, Kalifornia's turbo tax state download asks you to estimate the total of your online purchases from out of state and pay up.....Sad 
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"