Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying things online
hey guys,

My girlfriend was going to buy me a box of CAO Gold 10th Anniversary from CI but I thought I could maybe order them from my local B&M for a cheaper price...I talked to the CAO rep I know and he said that he can get them for 10 bux a stick so 100 for the box but online they are 60 something

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/sr.cfm/st/search

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-K0A&cat=3

The CAO rep and the shop owner said that i will pay more because of Californias tax but if I order online do I get charged my states tax or the tax of the state I bought them from....I dont get it....so can someone who buys online help a brotha out

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
You only get taxed if the company you are buying from has a location in your state.
so if it costs 66 I will pay 66....nice
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Don't forget the shipping. And you might want to send an email to ET & see if he can hook you up. Or go to the retailers sections to find the numbers for Mark at Tower,Al at Puff & Stuff, or Gabriel at Sabor Havana. All great brothers here who can and will take care of you if possible.             
discdog Wrote:Don't forget the shipping. And you might want to send an email to ET & see if he can hook you up. Or go to the retailers sections to find the numbers for Mark at Tower,Al at Puff & Stuff, or Gabriel at Sabor Havana. All great brothers here who can and will take care of you if possible.            
Ditto
I know Holts has them as well.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
What kills buying cigars in Ca. is the 45% tobacco tax.
I shop famous. Have always been happy with them. [smokin3]
There are pros and cons to both deals. Always.

First of all, know that the cigar reps do not get any special deals. I have witnessed a CAO rep buying cigars at full retail from a shop for his own consumption.

They get free stuff but are expected to give those out at events. If they sold it, they would be pocketing the money and that would be theft. Lets face it, making $100 here and there is not worth your job!

so, back to the pros and cons.

Online:

Pros:
  • CHEAP!
  • Variety
  • no taxes
Cons:
  • waiting for the sticks. 
  • Many premium sticks not available online.  
  • Damage in transit
  • Quality and substitution issues form a very few unreputable dealers
  • Problems can be a pain to correct
  • no taxes (yep, both a pro and a con. Good because it saves you $, bad because you can get in a heap of trouble for it)
B&M

Pros:
  • Establish a relationship that will lead to contacts, tickets, events and special favors.
  • Speaking to the dealer or sales person and getting his wealth of info to help you out.
  • Hard to find premiums
  • Instant gratification of paying and have your cigars in hand (maybe smoking one in the car on the way home)
  • Instant recourse on problems
Cons:
  • Price
  • Taxes
  • a lack of variety.

But, remember, many online outlets are in fact B&Ms also.

The few online places I deal with that I know are reputable and beyond are:
  • Of course ET who owns and runs Stogie Chat
  • Famous
  • Atlantic
  • Holts (new to this one)
  • & it seems I may be trying puff & stuff
But, my local guys see around 75% of my cigar budget (mostly Barcley Rex & OK Cigars)
Atlantic, Holt's, Serious Cigars, and Whitesmoke have always been very dependable for me.  Never a complaint with any order.

That said, 90% of my purchases are singles through my local B&M, Tobacco World.  They've got an "in" with Rocky Patel, the Ashton and Padron reps, and are next in line to get on the Opus X vendor list.  Plus they're great people, throw a herf every Friday with free beer and rum, host tastings every other month or so, and have the biggest walkin humi south of San Antonio.  Finck's new place up in San Antonio, in fact, is the ONLY one I've been in that's bigger . . . it's a whole damn HOUSE.

NANP

[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1