Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
asking for their blessing
So, married men, which ones of you asked your wife's parents for their blessings? Both the dad and mom, or just one of them?
And Dad's, is this something you'd expect to have done, or something that would just be a nice gesture?

I plan on doing it in the near future, and just thought I'd ask and see what others did!
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
I did not.
--Mike
I did....after I asked my wife first! Big Grin

It's just a polite thing to do & is a sign of respect.

As a dad....when my girls are old enough, the way the times are changing....I wouldn't expect it, but I would certainly be impressed if I was asked, that he cared enough about his future wife to ask her dad.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
You should definitely ask her dad. It's the ultimate respect. I'm going on 34 years of marriage and my father-in-law still to this day talks about it especially when his other son-in-law's are present, who didn't ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage.Big Grin

If Chris1980 ever marries my daughter and doesn't ask me, well, let's just say he might not make it to the altar.

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(11-14-2011, 06:09 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: You should definitely ask her dad. It's the ultimate respect. I'm going on 34 years of marriage and my father-in-law still to this day talks about it especially when his other son-in-law's are present, who didn't ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage.Big Grin

If Chris1980 ever marries my daughter and doesn't ask me, well, let's just say he might not make it to the altar.

Good to know Jim
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
I did, and they both said "No returns"
Git R Dun!
I ask the fathers with Both Wifes lol
(11-14-2011, 06:09 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: You should definitely ask her dad. It's the ultimate respect. I'm going on 34 years of marriage and my father-in-law still to this day talks about it especially when his other son-in-law's are present, who didn't ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage.Big Grin

No doubt in my mind I am going to, he's done a ton for me and even before being engaged/married I consider him to be a father figure.
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
I did as well, called up the father and asked, then got a call from the mother to tag along to our fine breakfast at Perkins. He really appreciated that I had asked and really has built a strong relationship between us.
No Justice, No Peace!
I'm with Jimmie - definitely ask. My FIL is traditional old-school Italian in a lot of ways, and this was important to me to show him the respect. In fact, I wanted to ask him in person, so I asked him the last time we went to visit them while they were vacationing in Oregon about 8-9 years ago. We were in his truck, and I still remember the "how the hell am I going to bring this up out of the blue" thought...

I was 1000% more nervous asking him than I was asking Nicole... and I found out later that he wanted to screw with me and tell me no, but he was just as nervous as I was when I started to ask... LOL!

Do it.