Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your experiance with aging cigars
I would like to hear some of the members experiences with aging cigars.

Any cigar you would like to talk about. Please tell us the brand, size, and age of the cigar. Let us know how aging improved the cigar, or deducted from its smoking experience. The concept of this is to help others find out what would be the optimum age for the ultimate smoking experience for particular cigars.

Should be interesting to see where this goes.
I have aged a couple of boxes of cigars.

Hoyo de Monterry Rothchild Double Maduro's. 

Smoked 5 out of the box.  They where pretty good, as these are my everyday smoke and had purchased a couple boxes of them.  I let one box age a complete year before smoking them.  They improved dramatically, became more mellow and smooth. So much they became very addictive and lets just say they are all gone now Smile.

Arturo Fuente Rothchld Maduro.

These sticks are sometimes a hit or miss on the burn quality, but never in the flavor department.  I have aged a box of these cigars and have not really noticed any major improvement in flavor. 

Artueo Fuente Chateau Sungrown & Maduro

Aged for 2 years in my humi.  These aged very well.  A lot of plume.  I think it has to do with the cedar wrap around the cigar.  As the cigar is covered in crystalized oils from the leaf.  These are very tasty after 1-2 years of age on them.

Arturo Funte Chateau Sungrown Cuban Belicoso.

I have a box of these that hit the 1 year mark this month and I have started sampling them.  Like the Chateau's they too have a tone of plume around the cigar where the cedar wrapper was.  To date I believe out of all the cigars I have aged this is the best Fuente I have smoked.

Now I do have some Opusx Super Belicoso's, Anejo Sharks, Anejo 55's that have been sleeping in my humidor for 2-3 years now.  I'm very tempted to smoke them.  I try to keep these for special events.

Pete
I know that if I age em...they better be strong to start out with...

Have some RASS from 06 that I'll start in on in 09...

Haven't been smoking long enough to age em, but I'm trying to keep some in a separate humi to leave them alone so they can age.  Got all sorts of shit I can age, just hope it exists long enough so I can.Big Grin
Well its rolling on september 2008 so the Opus X perfection x I smoked the other night had about 3 years on it.  Was bought at Casa Fuente Super Bowl February 5, 2006.

Most amazing sublime cigar experience I have ever had.  I have always wanted to try an aged Opus ever since I layed eyes on Moki's website http://www.vitolas.net/index.php.  They really become somthing in a class all their own.
SaL Wrote:Well its rolling on september 2008 so the Opus X perfection x I smoked the other night had about 3 years on it.  Was bought at Casa Fuente Super Bowl February 5, 2006.

Most amazing sublime cigar experience I have ever had.  I have always wanted to try an aged Opus ever since I layed eyes on Moki's website http://www.vitolas.net/index.php.  They really become somthing in a class all their own.

Yeah Moki's website sure has become popular these past few years.

Do a google search with andrew ans opusx!!!  I have noticed a lot of forums and blogs use his pictures.
I didn't age it myself, but I smoked a Partagas from '99 that I got from Uncle Bob that was simply out of this world.

I did put a box of Tatuaje Noellas away from ~18 months (giving it well over 2 years after the box date) and boy they turned from something great into something outstanding.

first thing that pops into my little brain is litto's stronger stuff. the diez, the coronado, they really improve in the first year of chilling. any longer after that is more subtle, but killer gravy all the same.

tatuaje cabinets seem to benefit hugely from just a few months, a short period of time that's well worth the effort.

little opus sizes to me are damn near unbearable when young. but a few years later, that raisin thing starts to kick in and boy that can be nice.

i guess in general, just that initial mellowing period for any cigar, where you take the 70% stored sticks down to your personal preference (for me, around 65%), makes a world of difference.