Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Will Eat What *I* Say You Can Eat - Got It?
i understand the motive but you've got to let people live their lives.  it's truly a shame that we have debates like this today in consideration of the myriad crisis that face our world.  as was said those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.  legislating morality has been tried before.  and failed.  prohibition anyone?
control nazi's, plain and simple.
Dennis leary used to use it in his comedy act when he started out.
Also in the Demolition Man he played an underground leader fighting to be free,he once again mentions how,if he wanted a steak or a big rack a ribs,it depends how he felt.He wanted high cholesteral and to light a big fat cuban in the non smokeing section..........................why?Because he just may feel the need to,thats freedom.

His act was funny,the bit part of his act in the Demolition Man was funny and spot on.
i'm going to carve off what i want and ride the rest home...

yeah he was cutting edge back in the late 80's.  then he had kids.  now he's like bill cosby with 6,000 jokes about his kids.

oh well.  no cure for cancer stands right up there with pryor, bruce, carlin, and the other greats.

from Edgar Friendly in Demolition Man:

[A]ccording to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal?
Of course . . . that $hit WILL kill ya, y'know. It's not even really food; more like industrial lubricant, basic agricorp sludge.

Y'all don't object that it's illegal to serve rat poison, do ya? Wink

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of thought police or the nanny state . . . but I'm also not in favor of the poison-drenched death-on-a-biscuit crap that gets passed off as food in this country, either.

NANPâ„¢
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
Not A Nice Person Wrote:Of course . . . that $hit WILL kill ya, y'know. It's not even really food; more like industrial lubricant, basic agricorp sludge.

Y'all don't object that it's illegal to serve rat poison, do ya? Wink

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of thought police or the nanny state . . . but I'm also not in favor of the poison-drenched death-on-a-biscuit crap that gets passed off as food in this country, either.

NANPâ„¢
[cigar]
Than don't buy it, it's not your or anyone else's place to tell me what to eat. And yes, it is leagal to serve rat poison, it's called warfarin or Coumadin, with out it thousand if not millions of people would be dead from blood clots.
in all fairness people are not stupid.  the problem is allowing them to blame others when their actions lead to detrimental consequences.

ie; go ahead smoke two packs a day.  don't sue p/m when you get lung cancer.

eat m/d fires.  get heart disease.  don't complain.

shoot someone with a gun.  don't sue smith and wesson.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:in all fairness people are not stupid.  the problem is allowing them to blame others when their actions lead to detrimental consequences.

ie; go ahead smoke two packs a day.  don't sue p/m when you get lung cancer.

eat m/d fires.  get heart disease.  don't complain.

shoot someone with a gun.  don't sue smith and wesson.
Exactly!

Thats the quote I wanted,couldn't remember edgar friendly's quote....lol.Wink

Thanks
i have to admit, i have no trouble with this at all...

In fact I think it's hysterical all the people fighting against it. I heard tons of people on the news saying: "the government can't dictate to us what to do" and I laugh thinking these are the same pansey-ass twisted idiots who protest against smoking.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:i have to admit, i have no trouble with this at all...

In fact I think it's hysterical all the people fighting against it. I heard tons of people on the news saying: "the government can't dictate to us what to do" and I laugh thinking these are the same pansey-ass twisted idiots who protest against smoking.

it's honestly an innocuous move skip i agree.  i'm just interested in the precedent it sets for further actions and where the bar will be raised to.  everything is always part of a larger plan and i'm just curious where this one is going.

not to be overly conspiratorial, just interested. 

by the way to play the edgar friendly demolition man allegory to the hilt as i remember it several other things deemed "bad for you" were also illegal in the future:

Non-educational toys

alcohol

meat and unhealthy food

tobacco

table salt

obscenity

abortion / pregnancy without a license

anything spicy

laugh now but we're not too far from a lot of that.  kind of why i've always liked science fiction (asimov mind you not plan 9 from outer space).  at it's best it addresses man's concerns and fears in a hypothetical fashion.