Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wineador help - RH 41% - HELP!!!
For some reason, my wineador I purchased a couple year back is a bit low on the RH.  My other humidor right next to it is reading around the same.  Temp 64, RH 41%.  I do have a dehumidifier on the other side of the basement.  I would think placing both units on the opposite side of the basement wouldn't effect the RH.  

What should I do?  Should I move the humidors upstairs?  Is the dehumidifier working against me?  The cigars are a little dry...  I use an Oasis in both.
You can try moving to see what happens.
Are you still from the NYC area?
Did you test your / re calibrate your digital hygrometers recently.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(05-13-2017, 02:22 AM)Comptalk Wrote: For some reason, my wineador I purchased a couple year back is a bit low on the RH.  My other humidor right next to it is reading around the same.  Temp 64, RH 41%.  I do have a dehumidifier on the other side of the basement.  I would think placing both units on the opposite side of the basement wouldn't effect the RH.  

What should I do?  Should I move the humidors upstairs?  Is the dehumidifier working against me?  The cigars are a little dry...  I use an Oasis in both.

That's an interesting problem...here are a few quick questions & thoughts

Have you salt tested the hygrometers lately?  Is it digital?  Do you have more than 1 in each humidor?

Have you been running the dehumidifier year round?  If not, how was the RH during that time?

Also, are you sure the Cigar Oasis' are full?  When I used to use them, the 1st sign that they were low on water was when my humidity level would start to drop a little.

I'd try moving the humidors upstairs & away from the dehumidifier.  The dehumidifier is taking the moisture out of the air & even though we all like to believe our humidors are air, water & humidity tight...they really aren't 100%, so yeah, I think the dehumidifier is working against you.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(05-13-2017, 10:29 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: You can try moving to see what happens.
Are you still from the NYC area?
Did you test your / re calibrate your digital hygrometers recently.
 Moved a bit upstate.  No have not recalibrated in a while.
(05-13-2017, 11:36 AM)Tonto Wrote:
(05-13-2017, 02:22 AM)Comptalk Wrote: For some reason, my wineador I purchased a couple year back is a bit low on the RH.  My other humidor right next to it is reading around the same.  Temp 64, RH 41%.  I do have a dehumidifier on the other side of the basement.  I would think placing both units on the opposite side of the basement wouldn't effect the RH.  

That's an interesting problem...here are a few quick questions & thoughts

Have you salt tested the hygrometers lately?  Is it digital?  Do you have more than 1 in each humidor?

Have you been running the dehumidifier year round?  If not, how was the RH during that time?

Also, are you sure the Cigar Oasis' are full?  When I used to use them, the 1st sign that they were low on water was when my humidity level would start to drop a little.

I'd try moving the humidors upstairs & away from the dehumidifier.  The dehumidifier is taking the moisture out of the air & even though we all like to believe our humidors are air, water & humidity tight...they really aren't 100%, so yeah, I think the dehumidifier is working against you.

Nope, haven't salt tested, going to do that next I think.  Yes, it is digital, only one in each.  For some reason, in the wineador, even though I set the temp. to 64, it never goes higher than 56.  It's only about a year old.

Yes, the dehumidifier year around @ 35% target.  

Yes, the Oasis's are checked once or twice each month and are filled as necessary with distilled water.

Thinking the same thing about the dehumidifier...  Life was much easier when I lived in an apt.  Didn't have to worry about this stuff...
So here's an update.  Moved the wineador and the large case humidor to the living room, refilled both of the Oasis's (however, one is still saying low H2O).  Added kitty litter to both.  In addition, I ordered a coleman cooler from Amazon (cheapest place I can find one) and some new Oasis refills.  I will transfer the boxes from the large case humidor to the coleman and re-season said humidor.  I purchased it in 2005.  Perhaps it needs to be refreshed a bit.  As of now, here are the readings:

Wineador
=======
68 degrees / 58% humidity

Humidor
======
68 degrees / 35% humidity

Salt test, 8 hours in, 68 degrees 60% humidity
yeah, so hygrometer is way off, last few times i've recalibrated, i've put new batteries in, just to be safe
No Justice, No Peace!
(05-14-2017, 12:02 PM)nayslayer Wrote: yeah, so hygrometer is way off, last few times i've recalibrated, i've put new batteries in, just to be safe

How do you recalibrate a digital hygrometer?  Thought this was one of the reasons why we selected digital ones over analog ones.  They didn't need to be calibrated.  lol
(05-14-2017, 12:35 PM)Comptalk Wrote:
(05-14-2017, 12:02 PM)nayslayer Wrote: yeah, so hygrometer is way off, last few times i've recalibrated, i've put new batteries in, just to be safe

How do you recalibrate a digital hygrometer?  Thought this was one of the reasons why we selected digital ones over analog ones.  They didn't need to be calibrated.  lol

There are a few newer digital hygrometers than have a button to rest/adjust calibration.  I think I have 1 or 2 of early models of them...I'll have to check.  I don't think I remember how to calibrate them...I'll have to look it up.

On my other digital hygrometers, I put a piece of white masking tape on it, with the amount of needed correction, like if it's supposed to read 70%, but only reads 65%, I'll put "+5" on the tape.  So I'll know to add 5 to the reading.  Another might say "-2", etc.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(05-14-2017, 12:57 PM)Tonto Wrote:
(05-14-2017, 12:35 PM)Comptalk Wrote:

There are a few newer digital hygrometers than have a button to rest/adjust calibration.  I think I have 1 or 2 of early models of them...I'll have to check.  I don't think I remember how to calibrate them...I'll have to look it up.

On my other digital hygrometers, I put a piece of white masking tape on it, with the amount of needed correction, like if it's supposed to read 70%, but only reads 65%, I'll put "+5" on the tape.  So I'll know to add 5 to the reading.  Another might say "-2", etc.

It's crazy, but the old analog hygro was on point in the bag, but the digital ones were off in both degrees and %.  I am going to pickup a couple from Amazon which are made by Cigar Oasis.  The Caliber IV Digital Hygromter by Western Humidor seems to be rated well @ Amazon.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a clear and concise reading moving forward.  Good to know my cigars are no were near 38%.  LOL.