Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wine help....
Well I must admit I know nothing about wines.  The wife is looking for some wine to start a little collection(as I have my cigars).  She wants a little bit of everything white/red and bottles from around the globe(maybe its hype but we always hear France, Italy).   

Her biggest complaint about some wine is its to dry or acidity. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Also any suggestions on where to purchase these wines if they are hard to come buy.

Thanks guys.

-John [cigar]
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
You are lucky to live in Wisconsin because your state allows wine to be shipped to you if you order online if you see something you like. My recommendation would be to visit your local wine stores first. Most of them have wine tasting events at low or no cost to you. Unfortunately wines are much like cigars in that what I might like you may not. You really need to taste for yourself to decide if it suits your taste. I would suggest visiting local stores to see if they have wine tasting there. If not then make a night out with your wife to a local restaurant and order a few different wines and make notes of what you like and don't like. Pay attention to the vintage as wines from the same vineyard can vary year to year. Wine collecting can be a fun and enjoyable hobby. Hope this helps you out.
Alan
Like cigars, everybody has different tastes with wines.  I really enjoy Pinot Noir, especially from Oregon.  You can pick a a decent bottle from Willamette for $20 to $25.  I also really like the Charles Krug Russian River Pinot Noir, but I have not seen it in my area in a while. made by Peter Mondavi.  Robert Mondavi also makes a ton of good wines that are reasonable, and some that are not such as the Opus One (very good but very expensive).  Duckhorn out of Napa makes a great variety of reds, but are on the expensive side ($80 a bottle give or take).  One of my favorites is a 2002 (i think) pinotage from flagstone called Dragon Tree, this one is difficult to find as well.  There is my two cents. 

A good piece of advice is find a local wine shop taht has a good reputation and talk to the people that work there and you will be suprised how well they point you in the right direction.  There are millions to choose from, enjoy.
I forgot to mention a cheap end that I enjoy called HobNob.  I think it is a blend, but you can get a case for $110 or so.
There are 2 types of wine collections the INVESTMENT type ( hope you have a lot of cash) and just wines you LIKE I say if yo cant find a great wine for under $10 you arent looking hard enough I suggest you go to some tastings and just buy wines you LIKE you can educate yourself on what to look for concerning ACIDITY and DRYNESS for free online at the zillions of wine sights but wine tastings are FUN often FREE and a great way to get a hobby going My fave wine right now runsd about $30 its Van Ruiten Old Vine Zinfandel from California fantastic

In a less expensive red I live in Italy part of the year and there is a sangiovese called Santa Cristina for about $7 thats just great yo can get here in the states at Total wine etc  You could also collect by WInery the Coppola wines are very good and they have a lot of fun wines to choose from to start a collection really there are no hard and fast rules sure the snobs may tell you different but wine is to be enjoyed so go ENJOY!

Liquoramahttp://www.liquorama.net ships into Maine!