Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What you do for work or the joy of money???
Frogman Wrote:For the last 7years I've been a professional Firefighter/Paramedic in a mid-sized (150,000) Texas city. Although at the beginning of last October I started working (on my days off from the FD) as a Sales Rep for a large telecom company. For the most part I sell Fiber optic solutions, and very high end connectivity to businesses. I met my manager at my local smoke lounge about a year and a half ago. We got to be good friends and last summer he convinced me to interview for the job. Well I nailed the interview and got the job, but am just not sure if I'm ready to give up being a Fireman. Becoming a firefighter at the city I work for is extremely difficult, usually 500 people take the entrance exam for 3-4 positions. So now I'm making more money than I've ever dreamed about, but working my ass off at two jobs. Oddly my manager has no problem with me working another job as long as I hit quota. The best part about the telecom job is most of the time my manager and I will work out of the smoke lounge instead of our offices.
good for you frogman! beats the heck out of the opposite, no job at all. And respectable jobs too. I salute the frogman the firefighter! (& respect the other guy too)
Thanks Skip, I actually took the written test for FDNY in 2000, the physical test in 2002, and got the call to come to work last February. But had to pass it over and stay in Texas so my wife could graduate college. Since I was a little kid, I've wanted to work with FDNY/NYPD, but have settled to visit the area once a year 
Frogman Wrote:Thanks Skip, I actually took the written test for FDNY in 2000, the physical test in 2002, and got the call to come to work last February. But had to pass it over and stay in Texas so my wife could graduate college. Since I was a little kid, I've wanted to work with FDNY/NYPD, but have settled to visit the area once a year 

Shoulda come to the FDNY...  I never hear a FF complain about his job... cops on the other hand... :?

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
MikeD Wrote:
Frogman Wrote:Thanks Skip, I actually took the written test for FDNY in 2000, the physical test in 2002, and got the call to come to work last February. But had to pass it over and stay in Texas so my wife could graduate college. Since I was a little kid, I've wanted to work with FDNY/NYPD, but have settled to visit the area once a year 

Shoulda come to the FDNY...  I never hear a FF complain about his job... cops on the other hand... :?

ahhhh... Mike, have you met my friend Dom?
Firefighter ....... best job in the world.

I retired on ill health 13 years ago, and although I earn more, travel the world and have my adventures ......... I would give it all up to be a Firefighter again. It still leaves a hole in my heart when a pump goes by on a shout, but then again, I was given no choice but to retire, you on the other hand know whats best for you and should base your decision on whats best for you and your family.

Cool
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Parkster Wrote:Firefighter ....... best job in the world.

fireman too Dave?  Come on James Bond is based on Dave Park.  Tell the truth.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:
Parkster Wrote:Firefighter ....... best job in the world.

fireman too Dave?  Come on James Bond is based on Dave Park.  Tell the truth.

I spent 3 1/2 years as a Firefighter with Grampian Fire Brigade and was proud to work with the busiest watch in the region before being diagnosed with Asthma and advised to retire before the job reduced my life expectancy by 15 to 20 years.

I went off of the rails completely for a while when I was retired and had it not been for my wife and a few close friends I reckon I could have spent some time in prison or worse, it was that much of an effect on my life to be told I could not do what my heart desired anymore ......... sounds soft , I know, but hell ...... its the truth.

If there was any single reason that made me embrase every dodgy situation I have ever found myself in.............. every "what the f*@k are you thinking about" scenario that has presented itself to me, it was the moment that the medical officer told me it was for my own good to retire me on the grounds of ill health.

"My own good"

What the F#*k did he know.

Dave.

Cool
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I'm retired and it's as boring as you can imagine it would be.Due to certain health reasons i had to leave the work force.I was a carpenter and an ase certified mech.So now i just do these trades for myself and family.However i would love to be a CSI like Mr D.It appeals to my natural curiosity.
Right now, I stude in minnesota...out of the library and college, I do whatever I can to get money.  I work as a stagehand for traveling musicals and plays, I spotlight hockey games sometimes, I work in my school cafeteria more than any other student in my class, and I clean a church with my sis.  I usually then take my earnings and invest them in securities, boxes of cigars with high resale value over msrp, student textbooks for resale, and other unquenchable profit-makers.  I spend huge percentages of my day on the computer doing research on investments from which I'm usually repaid. 

Although I'm not greedy, I like money a lot, so whatever I do to earn it brings at least a Machiavellian joy to me.
Yeah its a new year and and new plan. I try and buy 4 houses a year to flip and see i can make a buck or so. so i am on the hunt for my dumps of the year already.