Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was your first cigar?
lz6 Wrote:Cuban RG Lonsdale.........borrowed from my uncles humi around 1959 in Los Angeles........[smokin2]
did you return it?
My first cigar was an occasional dutch master from the neighborhood drug store. Then I migrated to DiNobolis (Italian Anisette stinkers). All this was a search for something to replace my cigarette habit with something less complicated than a pipe.

Then a friend gifted me a cigar. This is what I traditionally call my "first" cigar. It was hand made and perhaps the latest pre-embargo cigar there is. It was one of the cigars JFK had stockpiles before his premature demise.

It seems that after his death, Jacquie gifted a substantial number of boxes to the family priest who shared the passion for cigars with John K.

Years later this priest went on to become Bishop in the New York area. An influential friend of mine was friendly with this bishop and he gifted my friend with a box. He gave one to me. To this day it remains one of my most memorable smoking experiences.

Afterwards I bought a bundle of cigars at J&R in NY for a hunting trip. 25 cigars for $30. I don't recall what they were but they had a pigtail and when I went back for more the owner, Bob @ J&R laughed and said, you will never see a deal like that ever again in your lifetime... It was an incredible cigar and this is when I became totally hooked as I searched to replicate those great experiences... This was back in & around 1974.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:My first cigar was an occasional dutch master from the neighborhood drug store. Then I migrated to DiNobolis (Italian Anisette stinkers). All this was a search for something to replace my cigarette habit with something less complicated than a pipe.

Then a friend gifted me a cigar. This is what I traditionally call my "first" cigar. It was hand made and perhaps the latest pre-embargo cigar there is. It was one of the cigars JFK had stockpiles before his premature demise.

It seems that after his death, Jacquie gifted a substantial number of boxes to the family priest who shared the passion for cigars with John K.

Years later this priest went on to become Bishop in the New York area. An influential friend of mine was friendly with this bishop and he gifted my friend with a box. He gave one to me. To this day it remains one of my most memorable smoking experiences.

Afterwards I bought a bundle of cigars at J&R in NY for a hunting trip. 25 cigars for $30. I don't recall what they were but they had a pigtail and when I went back for more the owner, Bob @ J&R laughed and said, you will never see a deal like that ever again in your lifetime... It was an incredible cigar and this is when I became totally hooked as I searched to replicate those great experiences... This was back in & around 1974.

Great story Skip.

Cheers.
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I don't remember.  I had a few back in the boom that didn't impress me.  I have no idea what they were, and I didn't get into cigars as a result.  Then, a handful of years ago I tried a Hemingway Signature (or maybe it was a Short Story), and it was all she wrote.
First few were strung out over high school/ college years, swisher sweets, no names  and such.  First smokes in terms of when I began getting into cigars were La Fincas, the ones that come in the ammo box. I have thoughts from time to time of getting another one and seeing what I think of it now.
a white owl it's a boy cigar from the cintas uniform delivery guy.
.. /  ... - .- .-. - . -.. /  . .- .-. .-.. -.-- .-.-.- /  .. - /  .-- .- ... /  - .... . /  .--. .. -. -.- /  --- -. . --..-- /  .. /  - .... .. -. -.- 

[Image: 25361-large.gif]

Big Grin
Macanudo like most.
since I just started I could tell you in order:

ryj-I took it from my uncle's humi and it dryed up so when I smoked it it was bad.

black and mild-thought these were really cool for a while.

cohiba-a gift from my french teacher on my 18th birthday this past february..nice

vegas de fonseca-this was my favorite for a while
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
I smoked dutch masters cherry tips....Swisher Sweets, Phillies Blunts...And when I wanted a good cigar I smoked a Macanudo...

LOL

Funny how things change....This was back in the early 90's.

I am only 31.