Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's The Difference In Size?
I'm sure there are posts about this around here but I could not find it through the search. I have finally decided on a couple of cigars to try out but now there is the problem of which size.
I've read that with some cigars the size doesn't make a difference then I noticed with some brands there was a difference of 4-5 points in score between sizes.
In general are there certain sizes that are better, such as torpedos (Which I notice usually seem to be the most expensive size) or is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks
Just like in likes and dislikes of cigars this is subjective. The higher cost of certain sizes is usually attributed to the amount of tobacco used. When it comes to figurados (Torpedo, Belicoso, and Perfectos) they are a more difficult cigar to roll so they are more expensive.

I started with Petite Coronas, and Robustos as my usual smokes, and also liked the figurados (they just look cool). As of recently I've become found of Corona Gordas and Lanceros.

I would suggest once you find a cigar that you like, pick up a sampler of that cigar in different sizes.
What he said. This thread in done. LOL

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Also depends on the amount of time you have. During the winter i tend to stick to smaller sizes.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Do not discount the fact that the identical same cigar in different sizes taste different. It probably has something to do with what Sammy said. Different sizes tend to use different parts of the leaf more than others. Or maybe different leaf sizes... But buy a single cigar on all the sizes and see for yourself.

Plus the size and shapes affect the draw greatly too.
yup, it's all about preference and time. and opinions vary greatly in this matter. personally, i prefer a bigger ring gauge, which leads me to smoke a lot of toro's. and i'm not overly fond of torps (with a few exceptions) but that's mainly because of the way i hold the cigar in my mouth, a rounded end just feels more natural to me. but depending on the amount of time you have, i'd definitely say try them all, you're bound to find out what you like that way.
Some of the variation has to do with the ratio of wrapper leaf to filler leaf . . . since the wrapper is a much higher percentage of a cigar's overall taste than it is its construction, a thinner cigar, like a lancero, will often be much more flavorful/spicy than other shapes in the same line.

Contrast the Don Lino Africa Kifaro (torpedo) and Punda Milia (lancero) for example . . . both great smokes with very similar flavor profiles, but the Kifaro is meaty and rich, whereas the Punda Milia is much, MUCH spicier and intense.

I always used to be a toro guy, but lately I've been liking the draw better on torps. When I smoke a toro or a robusto now, I use a punch to give myself a similar draw, in fact.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1