Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your New Year's Eve smoke gonna be?
it all smells like bull manure to me
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
(01-27-2011, 01:32 PM)365Cigars Wrote:
(01-27-2011, 09:05 AM)wtfdic Wrote: Now back to this flavor wheel! I don't think we ever figured out how to tell the difference between horse manure and regular animal manure? And while we are at it which one is better? What would you rather taste?

Much of what comprises "taste" can be attributed to smell & what the olfactory senses give us... without smell most foods or items that we taste would actually be quite bland and unappealing... the taste buds are actually quite weak and the combination of taste & smell is what actually gives us the "flavors" we sense overall... smell a lemon, for example, and your taste buds will tell you what it tastes like and your mouth will even begin to salivate...

This is why wine connoisseurs swirl & smell the nose of the wine first, it gives them a sense of what the wine may taste like... when they actually taste the wine they suck in some air to expand the flavors up into the sinuses which gives the taster a fuller, more precise result of what is on the palate... this is one of the reasons we retrohale while smoking, the sinuses assist in delivering more acute and accurate flavors to the taster... In the mouth when we "taste" manure it's a combination of the scent via retrohale and olfactory senses and the taste of the smoke (usually a very earthy, acidy type taste)...

While we many of us may never have tasted manure we know what it smells like... some of us, especially those that live in more suburban areas, may even be able to tell the difference between steer, cow, chicken & horse manure - and if you've ever used any of the available "zoodoo" type manures (usually elephant, giraffe or other large animal) you'd know the potent aromatic scents of those manures... plus most of us also know the smells of regular domesticated animal (cat, dog, rabbit, etc.) as well as human (babies, flatulance, etc.) poo...

The flavor wheel can also be used when smelling the cigars scent, as when we smell the wrapper or foot... there you will find that the descriptors in the flavor wheel will help you define the scent(s) you are encountering, especially when you are either reviewing or trying to describe the cigar to others...

Hope this helps... :-)

Great explanantion!!!

I'd still love to see a video though....
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Hunlock...

A video will be available soon... we're shooting several next week at the shop.... we're also putting up new reviews on the blog over the next few days... I was thrown off the schedule by the holidays and family situations (my father has Parkinson's & Alzheimer's and things haven't been easy over the last month)...

Stay tuned, you'll like what we're cooking up...

I am with , dave. All smells like $hit to me.........
(01-06-2011, 01:36 AM)365Cigars Wrote: Teck...

Do you mind if I share your flavor wheel when I do the "tasting" video?..

Yes you can. Just as long as you reference StogieChat.com.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Whats the possibility of using the description "smells like a pensioners favourite chair" in your vid clip?
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why