Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What causes this?
I keep my humi around 68%, I did however leave it in a plastic bag at my buddies house in his humi which is always either 69-71%.  Would this just be a construction issue?  I could understand if it was very low RH but I like storing my cigars at a higher RH.  I noted no problems until it was burning, then it was a bit hard not to notice.   Fortunately, it ended up being quite a nice smoke. 

Cigar: CAO Extreme Robusto
Wrappers are generally delicate by nature since they are partly grown for appearance as much as taste.  It could be that the binder and filler were holding moisture and when the heat hit the end of the cigar it swelled a bit and cracked the wrapper.  Or it could be just a construction issue Wink.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
This is caused by unprotected se....

sorry...

usually, but not always, this is caused by too high a humidity. Try storing your cigars around 64% (although this takes getting used to if you have been smoking them at 70%).

Also, you didn't say at what temperature you have been storing them at. 70% at 80 degrees is WAY TOO HIGH, whereas 70% at 60 degrees is just about right (at least as far as water vapor is concerned)
Well said guy's, my 2 cents.....Stop chewing on it!!!Big Grin
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:This is caused by unprotected se....

sorry...

usually, but not always, this is caused by too high a humidity. Try storing your cigars around 64% (although this takes getting used to if you have been smoking them at 70%).

Also, you didn't say at what temperature you have been storing them at. 70% at 80 degrees is WAY TOO HIGH, whereas 70% at 60 degrees is just about right (at least as far as water vapor is concerned)

Thanks Skip, my house where it was stored at is usually closer to 80 (76-79 usually) degrees at 67% RH but I left this one at my buddies house in his humi which is closer to 71degrees and 70% RH give or take for about two weeks.  My house where my collection is at now is pretty warm especially this time of year, so I will bring the RH down considerably. 

On a side note, I'm going on vacation for a week or so, and going to bring quite a few sticks with me.  Since mine might be alittle moist right now (its going to be 100 today, so I'm sure my house will be 80), what do you recommend?  Should I leave the stick out for an hour or so before smoking it? 
it couldn't hurt but im betting it wont help either due to the high humidity outside.

where i live now the humidity is 90 going to 95. Leaving a cigar outside does nothing to dry it out.

By the way, an hour for a cigar is nothing. I would leave it out a day, but only if I were having issues. Let me ask, did you enjoy the cigar? A cracked foot is of little concequence if you liked it.
Skip, I should've clarified, not outside of my house but outside of the humidor/cellophane.  I'm not sure the humidity of my house, but I know for a fact it's 50% or less.  I'll slowly bring it back to 65%. 

2/3 of the cigar was suprisingly really good.  I nubbed it and wish'd it had more left.  Great flavor and I wasn't expecting a really good smoke from the reviews that I have seen but hell I loved it.  If I get a good deal I won't hesitate on a 5-pack.  Honestly it had more flavor than the Brazilia Amazon that I had two weeks ago.  It's certainly something I would like to avoid it in the future, I was a bit worried that it was going to explode/unwravel on me Smile