Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Wet Shaving
(03-18-2012, 07:58 PM)Pete Wrote:  Still here... Checking in almost daily, but consumed by watching the NHL playoff picture develop and enjoying the unexpected patio smoking weather in PA right now.

Haven't made any shave-related purchases as of late. I've noticed there are a handful of new companies getting involved in manufacturing double-edge razors, but I've yet to get the itch to stray from my Merkur. The pricing on some of these new, virtually unknown brands is absurd. $100+ for a double-edge? I'll stick with the established players. I swear companies are just looking to capitalize on the resurgence, overlooking the fact that many reverted to safety razors because of the rising cost of cartridges.

Looking forward to the warmer weather so I can break out the bay rum and lime stuff. Always serves as an indicator that Summer is on it's way.

Ths is why I made he switch. I shave daily and Mach 3 blades were getting expensive. My wife bought me the set for my birthday and I haven't looked back!!!
(03-19-2012, 06:29 PM)Pete Wrote:  
(03-19-2012, 06:21 PM)scott81425 Wrote:  i picked up a sweet edwin jagger razor the other day on amazon. were having a nice deal on it, right around 20 bucks. love it!

That IS a good deal, Scott. You can't even buy a Merkur for $20 anymore, and Edwin Jaggers are generally a little more pricey than the non-adjustable Merkurs.

Yeah, I thought so too. Loving the new razor. I checked out that St Charles website, and wanted to try one of their scents, but damn! shipping kills it. Half the cost of a bottle just to ship it. Maybe another day.

Deal alert! Drugstore.com is currently running 20% off certain products, Proraso being one of them. I just scored FOUR bottles of Proraso After Shave Splash for $33.60 shipped! This stuff is usually $16 per bottle + shipping.

It's a "link though" deal, so use this link: http://www.drugstore.com/templates/featured/default.asp?catid=294972&aid=338012&aparam=12wk30dsRCT0X&om_u=NspjfM&om_i=_BPaYqDB8hdCM4P

I love drugstore deals. Got in a few days ago on proraso buy 3 get 1 free. Got the aftershave, the pre shave, and a couple tubes of shave cream.
(03-22-2012, 12:52 PM)scott81425 Wrote:  I love drugstore deals. Got in a few days ago on proraso buy 3 get 1 free. Got the aftershave, the pre shave, and a couple tubes of shave cream.

Yep! That's how I scored my deal. They had buy 3, get 1 free, as well as the 20% on the splash, and free shipping. I considerded adding some of the pre-shave to my order, too. It's been years since I've used that stuff...
Saw this posted elsewhere, and thought someone here might be interested. It's an Edwin Jagger De86 faux ebony safety razor for just over 25 bucks. A pretty decent deal. Add it to the cart here

http://www.soap.com/p/edwin-jagger-de86bl-faux-ebony-double-edge-safety-razor-black-203201?site=pfx&utm_source=GAN&utm_medium=Affiliate_S&utm_campaign=Google_S

Then add something else to the cart, a household item like a 2 dollar box of kleenex or something, and use promo code HHSAVINGS to take 20 percent of your order. Just thought someone might be interested.
Just picked up some tabac aftershave and shaving cream. Delightful! I've been on a roll lately. New razor, new brushes, new creams and splashes. Thanks Pete!
(04-05-2012, 07:52 PM)scott81425 Wrote:  Just picked up some tabac aftershave and shaving cream. Delightful! I've been on a roll lately. New razor, new brushes, new creams and splashes. Thanks Pete!

How do you feel about the scent of Tabac? I've never tried it myself, but from what I've read for years on the shaving forums, Tabac is one of those "love it, or hate it" scents. Just curious to hear your take on it.
(04-06-2012, 07:58 AM)Pete Wrote:  
(04-05-2012, 07:52 PM)scott81425 Wrote:  Just picked up some tabac aftershave and shaving cream. Delightful! I've been on a roll lately. New razor, new brushes, new creams and splashes. Thanks Pete!

How do you feel about the scent of Tabac? I've never tried it myself, but from what I've read for years on the shaving forums, Tabac is one of those "love it, or hate it" scents. Just curious to hear your take on it.

I LOVE it. Find it to be truly delightful. Although, admittedly, the lady claims it smells like "old man". I think it smells "classy". Not overpowering, not a blast in your face type of scent, just a "I enjoyed the simple things in life" type of scent, if that makes sense. It doesn't scream "I spent a hundred dollars on this bottle of aftershave", it simply says "I take care of my face and I don't care who knows". A delight to shave with, I would prefer it to my C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) as I feel after the shave it leaves my face feeling less "sticky". I've also been using a soap I found on eBay, a bay rum and lime variety, that I feel is outstanding. Normally, I'm a cream guy. Not a soap guy. But I've been expanding my horizon's lately. And I would gladly offer to purchase tabac from anyone who bought it and didn't like it, as
long as they realize they wont walk away smelling like today's "modern man" they will smell more like they left the neighborhood barbershop of yesteryear. Fresh, clean, and ready to take on the day. Seriously, its good stuff.

Nice Scott, I have to try that.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
2014 S.C. Fantasy Hockey President's Trophy
Honorary Shield Brother