Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Wet Shaving
(05-03-2017, 09:05 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Anything should be better than using an electric razor. I use one only when I need a quick clean up and don't feel like shaving.

I never wet shaved before...always electric since I was a kid.  I always thought it was too hard & too difficult.
It's not hard at all & gives a much better have.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
ok, noob question...when do you know it's time to change the blades?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(05-19-2017, 03:04 PM)Tonto Wrote: ok, noob question...when do you know it's time to change the blades?

Jan, 

Generally, if the blade causes razor burn, is tugging on the hair, or causes cuts because you are having to press harder, then the blade is likely dulling.  Irritation for me is my indication that I went too long with a blade.  I generally switch mine out about every three shaves.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
(04-23-2017, 09:40 AM)nayslayer Wrote: I started using bowl and it may have helped me with lather technique, but saved me bunch of time when I went right to lathering on face.

I am a bowl latherer.  I use a suribachi bowl because the ridges help build lather.

[Image: 20170529_224430_zps0arinkrp.jpg]
ooh, I like that
No Justice, No Peace!
Here is a picture of my routine set-up. I have not used canned stuff or disposables in well over a year.

[Image: 20170726_133125_zps8vjsgvq1.jpg]
(08-01-2017, 12:37 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Here is a picture of my routine set-up. I have not used canned stuff or disposables in well over a year.

[Image: 20170726_133125_zps8vjsgvq1.jpg]

Best guesstimate - what would a ballpark be on $$ to get a decent setup?
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
Ben,

A good safety razor (new) will run about $30-$50.  I mainly use (and in the picture) the Merkur 38c, and that is about $45.  I also use an Edwin Jagger razor, equally good, and it costs about $30.  You can get a used razor of high quality from ebay for less money.  Definitely do some shopping around.

A good boar brush will cost about $20 or less.  A good best badger brush can start about $50 and go up in price considerably.  I have good badger and synthetic brushes, but nine out of ten times,  I reach for the boar brush.  They do require some break in time to soften.

For blades, it depends on what works for you, so getting some samples of different blades would be the way to go until you know what you prefer.  I use Feather blades, and since they are on the more expensive side, I will give you the cost of those as a high price mark.   Fifty feather blades will cost about $15, and 100 will cost about $25.

I absolutely love Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams, and they cost about $15 for one tub.  Most shaving creams and soaps will average about $15 to $20.

So Ballparking it:
Razor: $40
Brush: $30
Blades:$20
Cream/soap: $20

A very rough ballpark, and estimated high using Amazon prices, about $100 to $110 for a full basic set-up.  I think this can be achieved more cheaply by finding a quality used razor, going with a boar brush, and getting a little cheaper sample of blades.

Later on, you can add in after shave tonics or balms.  Quite often I will use a very light layer of neosporin on the more sensitive areas.  There are definitely ways to save money here and there.

If you decide to pull the trigger on a DE razor, hold off buying blades and PM me.  I will send a variety of blades to you.  I have tons of extras that I will never use.
I would also add that a razor and brush purchase will be a one time deal, as both will last you years...decades. One hundred blades will also last a very long time, at least a year, if not longer. It will depend on how often you shave and how many shaves you have on a blade before changing. Even one tub of TOBS, will last many months if that is all you use and shave daily because only about an almond sized dollop is used per shave.

You can also spread out the costs. Get the razor and blades one month while continuing to use canned shave cream. Next month pick up a brush and cream, and then just keep going until you get what you want. Be careful of the dreaded acquisition disorder that afflicted me...LOL...Maytag still comments on my plethora of shaving creams and soaps, but I am narrowing down.
I've been pondering trying it out. Thanks for all the info. Now off to Amazon to do some research.
The wife is always complaining I just buy things, so I think this might go in a list for Xmas.
Thanks again!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.