Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to the CIGARist!
Hey, all!! I am Eric Whitfield...also known as "The CIGARtist".

Some of you are familiar with my stuff. The rest of you are about to become familiar (Does that sound like a threat?) I stumbled across Stogiechat in the early days and quickly felt at home. This is a passionate group of folks...a family, really. This new arena is my contribution, my celebration of that passion. My passion for art, our shared passion for cigars and fellowship. I want you all to get involved!! We can have bidding on pieces, I welcome ideas/concepts that you would like to see created...maybe voting on the subject matter for the next piece - giving you folks a voice in the art. I plan to offer art for sale, commission, auction, etc...and I invite you all to get involved! In fact, this is more than an invitation...it's an expectation! Let's have some fun!

Here's a glimpse of the CIGARtist:
I have exhibited my art at juried shows including Laguna Gloria Fiesta in Austin, TX, the Blue Grass Festival in Round Rock Texas, Twice at the Annual Clinton Art and Music Festival in Clinton, NY where my work was chosen to represent the festival on event posters, T-shirts and other merchandise. I have been asked by the Clinton Chamber of Commerce to participate in the town's "Art Rocks" campaign two years running. This is an opportunity for artists to contribute their talents by painting an actual Adirondack style rocking chair for display at various sposoring businesses over the summer months, after which the chairs are auctioned off to the highest bidder. My work has been displayed at coffee shops, galleries, restaurants and private homes. The King of the Blues B.B. King is among owners of my work.

SOoo, That's all great, bro, but where do the cigars fit in?? Well, I began smoking cigars in 1999. It quickly became a passion. Cigar smoking is a social experience...even when I do it alone. Whether enveloped in thoughts or good conversation, cigars are a natural accompaniment. They enhance my experience. This is why I love to smoke while painting. Cigar smoking is relaxing. A relaxed frame of mind is fertile creative territory and lends itself beautifully to my other passion - art. The brush strokes are so similar to the smoke as it rises from the burning foot of the cigar. The smoke as it dances above the cigar and swims around my hand with the grace of a water ballerina (OK..so I have never seen a water ballet in my life but that's what comes to mind).

Art is more than a expression of passion, art is passion and passion is art. One becomes an artist when he/she finds the courage and the means with which to express that passion. Painting is my chosen vehicle. As such, often times, my passion for cigars finds it's way to the canvas. I also "paint" with 100% pure coffee (which is my cigar accompanying beverage of choice) and the brown hues work beautifully when painting cigars.

Folks began to take notice of the prevalence of cigars in my work. Honestly, I hadn't noticed until it was brought to my attention. It was always just a part of the experience. I started to become known for this pairing of passions and as a result have enjoyed many opportunities. I have created art for cigar retailers and tobacconists, cigar enthusiasts like you and me, known folks from the cigar industry, etc. I have recently finished a custom painted humidor that I was commissioned to do for the green room at the Howard Stern Show. Various cigar publications have become familiar with my work. Most recently, Cigarpress Magazine features my CIGARt among the pages of the Summer issue.

My life is very colorful and crazy and much of my art reflects this fact. More often than not, I begin with a color in mind rather than a subject and emotion and passion flesh out the piece until a finished painting is produced. My work is real, honest and emotional. This is what feels best and this seems to be what is appreciated most by those who experience my art. I hope to share the experience with you all...and I hope you dig it.

Please feel free to contact me anytime...here or through my website.

CELEBRATE THE PASSION!!!
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com