Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF??!! Texas School Suspends Student for Answering Call in Class From Dad in Iraq
Your school sounds like my high school...but make that 98% Mexican..not hispanic, no guatemalans there....and a black and asian guy thrown in for a good diverse mixBig Grin

I agree with you NANP, it is hard as hell to listen and learn to a teacher when people's cell phones not only go off but they go outside ad take the F-ing call....the loud ass door and them saying "ooh excuse mee". I mean come on, its only an 2hours.....it cant wait two hours...cause most of those calls are not that important.......and lets not get into these TEXT motha-f-ers.....talk to an individual, what, nobody talks no more (dbl negative I know )......

that kid should get introuble, but he should feel it was worth itBig Grin

all them other fools.......

TURN THAT SHIT OFFCool

and im the liberal Californian

[lol]
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
My school was 1/3 white, 1/3 Hispanic, 1/3 Southeast Asian (I am ten years removed but the ratio is roughly the same still), Big City and there would be rules against cellphones there for obvious things, like possible gang activity.  I am sure if the kid talked to the principal ahead of time arrangements could be made (like the kid could have his dad call the principal, and then go to the office to take the cal).  People are not anti American, and the rules have to be enforced.  There are enough distractions pulling students away from their studies these days.  Giving kids carte blanche to do with they want, is not going to help things.

Seems to me 210 years of American History progressed withought cell phones being used by students in school, and the world didnt grind to a halt.  The kids today can go a couple hours without theirs.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
*read off of my cell phone*

Big Grin
Not A Nice Person Wrote:Get a grip.

He answered his cell phone in class. It's against the rules. The rules are in place for a reason.

Wrapping it in the flag is NOT helpful, or even relevant.

Break the rules, face the consequences. Don't like the consequences, don't break the damn rules. His dad can't call him after school?

Let's just put the kids in charge . . . and send the message they can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they've got a reason.

Sheeeeeeesh.

NANP™
[cigar]

would it be ok to answer your cell phone if you got a call that your kid sister was in an accident and in the hospital?

This was a shitty thing to do. It wasn't his friend calling to ask him if the pot could be harvested yet. Something like this goes on his record? For talking to his dad that he hasn't seen in quite a while and may never see again? Tomorrow this kid's dad could be killed by an IUD or suicide bomber. Maybe his cell phone was on because his dad IS in Iraq.

Bullshit. that is effed up.

Nonsense, Skip.

You're drawing the line after the fact. Rules aren't written as "unless." In an emergency, in a family crisis, in any similar situation, what did people do BEFORE kids had cell phones?

They called the damn school and the front office came and got the kid. That's what the drill STILL is, too. How it's supposed to be handled. After all, there's as many as 30 other kids in that classroom . . . is that kid's being "stressed" and his phone call from his dad in the middle of instructional time more important than all the rest of them?

And neither you, me, nor Fox News was there in the classroom . . . but I've had enough experience with sophomores to at least make an educated guess as to how it REALLY played out and why it was handled the way it was.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
This just seems like an overblown situation.  You know what, I made it through 4 years of high school without a cell phone and I turned out fine.  They have to need to have one at school.  Keep it in your locker on in your car, it's really not that hard.

If I was in class back in 1995 or whatever and someone needed to get a hold of me to tell me something you know what they would do?  Call the office and they would bring a note to your class.  And things worked out just fine.

If they let this kid get away with it then what happens when a parent calls to tell their kid something?  That kid then gets in trouble?  That's just opening a whole can of worms that just isn't worth dealing with.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Not A Nice Person Wrote:Get a grip.

He answered his cell phone in class. It's against the rules. The rules are in place for a reason.

Wrapping it in the flag is NOT helpful, or even relevant.

Break the rules, face the consequences. Don't like the consequences, don't break the damn rules. His dad can't call him after school?

Let's just put the kids in charge . . . and send the message they can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they've got a reason.

Sheeeeeeesh.

NANP™
[cigar]

would it be ok to answer your cell phone if you got a call that your kid sister was in an accident and in the hospital?

This was a shitty thing to do. It wasn't his friend calling to ask him if the pot could be harvested yet. Something like this goes on his record? For talking to his dad that he hasn't seen in quite a while and may never see again? Tomorrow this kid's dad could be killed by an IUD or suicide bomber. Maybe his cell phone was on because his dad IS in Iraq.

Bullshit. that is effed up.
I agree 100% Skip. Having been there I always expected my family to pick up the phone.....you never knew when it was going to be your last phone call. During war its not always conveinent for a soldier to call the kids after school. You make a phone call in between missions. If that does not fall into the schools schedule so be it. Texas or not that is one rule I would direct my kid to disobey. If Dad calls from Iraq you pick the phone up! With all that being said I do see your point NANP and they are all valid. Thats just how I would handle the situation.
I agree that rules need to be backed by consistent consequences (not conditional ones) - That said, I would also advise my child to break that rule...and if I were the child I mosdt certainly WOULD break that rule. The point is - each individual ALWAYS has a choice of weighing out the consequences against the potential benefits as it should be. My guess is we are more concerned about it than the kid. I would happily accept suspension or worse in exchange for a call from an absent father...especially when I was a 15 year old kid and especially when having a rough time. I'm sure the kid knew he was facing consequences when he made his choice.

SOooo...I agree with his receiving consequences...AND I agree with his answering the call.

What I DON'T agree with is kids being allowed cell phones in school at all.
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
Texas usally executes kids for something this major.
Zaphod Wrote:If I was in class back in 1995 or whatever and someone needed to get a hold of me to tell me something you know what they would do?  Call the office and they would bring a note to your class.  And things worked out just fine.

I was a sophomore in HS in 1995.  Wink.  I survived all of HS without a cell, hell I didnt get one till I was 23.  And you know what kids had parents in the millitary overseas in 1995 too (before cellphones), and you know what, they suvived too!

I dont get the isuue.  Why cant the Dad call the principals office and talk to the kid from there.  Then the kid talks to his Dad and the cellphone rule stays intact.  Arrangements can be made, its not the schools fault the kid would rather break the rules.  Same deal with emergencies, hospitals, deaths.  Call the office ad they will get the kid. Thats the way it was done for years and no one was traumatized.  Leave the damn cell at home.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool