Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro
Box code: UUS JUL05

Appearance: perfect double cap, rapper condition v.good, slightly oily sheen, but not "perfect".

Pre light observations: enticing cuban noxious barnyard aroma, cigar condition excellent as not too dry nor too wet - perfect spring without the crackling sound of an underhumidified cigar. Pre light draw: great - it is not plugged Smile

First third: flavours initially muted over first half an inch, very smooth like any high quality cuban DC, dominant flavour of leather/ old leather, mid-way through first third, detecting some spice, burn razor sharp, draw a touch too easy. On the lighter side of medium bodied.

Second third: VR exotic spices beignning to emerge - black cheeries mixed with old leather with hints of cream and traces of white pepper. Cigar becoming medium in body, beginning to pick up in stength with nicotine making itself evident as if to say "watch out later!" Cigar remains remarkably smooth, like a gentle giant. Burn remains straight and a minor unevenness is self corrected.

Final third - cigar switching from medium bodied to medium full then in the final quarter down right full bodied! Flavour profile remains the same leather, black cherries and cream, has not gained any complexity. Nicotine tingles develop on the pallette and fully take over. Would be truly heavenly after a big meal, but unfortunately put the cigar to bed early as feeling queezy.

Overall - I enjoyed this smoke with a couple of pints of guiness, listening to Pink Floyd in my shed, and it did offer a very relaxing experience. Ideally this should be smoked after a hearty meal, and I would suggest that it is best coupled with a tannic red. I was very grateful that this cigar was perfectly constructed and did not require any touching up. However the cigar is still very young and has not had the opportunity to fully delevop in terms of flavour profile. Great potential.

87/100

P.S.  Unfortunately my other pics didn't come out as I was smoking in a candle-lit shed!
Looks like a great cigar.  Thanks for the review!
Awesome.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Thanks, been wondering about these
Looks like a great DC.

Great Review, thanks Graham
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
tasty lookin'.
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Very nice review Graham. I'm going to have to try one of these
wonderful review and breakdown of a cigar that i'll wager most people here haven't tried, including myself. as for feeling queasy, you might want to ventilate that shed a bit more. Big Grin
Graham, it thatt from the same box as the ones you sent me?  I just finish one on Sat and it was absolutley amazing.  I take back anthing I ever said about the VR line.  I still don't like any of the other vitolas, but the DA will ALWAYS have a place in my humi.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Man, I really enjoyed reading this review again. Great job.

I've not had the pleasure of having tried one of these, but John (Doc's friend) from the Central Coast Herf gifted me one. Can't wait to try it out. From what you describe and what I anticipate after reading so many reviews and having tried other VR's, I'm thinking that Booker's bourbon or Ron Zacapa 23yo Guatemalan rum might be the best to pair with it.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!