Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tupper-dor vs. old cigar box?
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
patrickb Wrote:
Magnum PI Wrote:Tupperdore may have less character, but you will get a better seal than you would with the old cigar box.

Also, I don't smoke flavored cigars, but you may want to keep the Acid away from the other sticks.

Good luck!Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback Magnum. I hadn't even considered the flavored stick amongst the others. It's in a tube, but better safe than sorry. I had a buddy give me several Acid. I liked them at first but now find them to be way too sweet...kinda like someone put 10 sweet-n-lo's in your coffee.

I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like the box has a seal. Have you tried seasoning the box?

Alss, you want to pick up a digital Hygrometer.

And Magnum is quite right, keep the flavored stuff in a seperate box/tupperware. Otherwise you run the risk of having your "regular" cigars pick up the Acid/flavored taste. I keep a small humi of flavored sticks for my mother-in-law. She likes to smoke them when she comes over in the spring & summer.

crappy english but very wise words. Currently you have no idea if your cigars are storing at 57% or 90%.

Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
patrickb Wrote:
Magnum PI Wrote:Tupperdore may have less character, but you will get a better seal than you would with the old cigar box.

Also, I don't smoke flavored cigars, but you may want to keep the Acid away from the other sticks.

Good luck!Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback Magnum. I hadn't even considered the flavored stick amongst the others. It's in a tube, but better safe than sorry. I had a buddy give me several Acid. I liked them at first but now find them to be way too sweet...kinda like someone put 10 sweet-n-lo's in your coffee.

I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like the box has a seal. Have you tried seasoning the box?

[color="red"]Alss, you want to pick up a digital Hygrometer.
[/color]
And Magnum is quite right, keep the flavored stuff in a seperate box/tupperware. Otherwise you run the risk of having your "regular" cigars pick up the Acid/flavored taste. I keep a small humi of flavored sticks for my mother-in-law. She likes to smoke them when she comes over in the spring & summer.

crappy english but very wise words. Currently you have no idea if your cigars are storing at 57% or 90%.

Well I picked up a dig hygrometer over the weekend. The salt test revealed that it's pretty close, reading 77% after sitting overnight in a sealed container. After few hrs in my 'old cigar box' humidor, the hygrometer revealed that my cigars have been sitting in a 36% RH environment. Some have been there seven to ten days, while others (like the Rocky Patel's) just a couple of days.

However, in a big ziploc bag with a water pillow, the hygrometer reads 65% RH. Given my hygrometer's rate of error (~3%), that seems close enough for me. Temp is about 65 deg F.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'll just keep them in the ziploc with a water pillow and throw that in the Montecristo box.

sounds like a plan. Glad you found out before the gars turned to dust.
Any container that has a good seal will work.  I used an old mason jar before I purchased my first humidor.  Just remember glass and plastic do not absorb liquid, so I used to open it up at least once a day.   
hahaha ashman... one of my first humidors was a pasta jar.