Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toasty temperatures?
Hey all, good to see things back up & running. Enough small talk though, back to business...

The temp in my room is in a bad state @ the moment. Around 75° F. I have absolutely no way of cooling things down until we install the AC in about a month. Am I right to worry about hatching pet beatles or can I rest easy for awhile until we get the AC installed? How long until an egg hatches when the temp is right and does having a warmer humidor guarantee anything hatching?
i think you're probably alright at or around 75. i went weeks at a time last summer when the temp here was 75, even 80 sometimes indoors (no ac) and nothing awful happened. the credos put out a bit more than necessary, so there was some humidity control needed, but that's all. i'd get worried if the temp really stuck at 80 or higher for a long time.

...just had an idea. i use a wet towel to control spiking temps in my homebrew sometimes, evaporation is an amazing refrigerant, and my target temp is around 70. so here's my idea: drape saran wrap or plastic sheeting over your humi, then throw a damp towel on top, and see how the temp goes after a few hours. you can accelerate the temp drop by aiming a fan at the towel. works for beer, it may work for sticks. just don't get your humi wet. good luck.
AS I understand it the eggs can hatch quickly when the temp is right. If you are really concerned about the temp inside your humi. you can try moving it to a closet that has no exterior walls...  closets tend to be cooler since they are dark and not opened often.
Thanks fellas, I'll give both options a shot. BB, I would have NEVER thought of that wet towel thing, it seems crazy enough it just might work...
If your tobacco has eggs they can hatch at temperatures much lower than 75 degrees. It's humidity and temp combos that cause the little monsters to come to life!  :X
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
lz6 Wrote:If your tobacco has eggs they can hatch at temperatures much lower than 75 degrees. It's humidity and temp combos that cause the little monsters to come to life!  :X

Well, that's comforting. Wonder why we don't see more outbreaks if that's the case.
I honestly do not know. The Cubans still use vacum chambers while gassing with Phostoxin (Aluminum Phosphide) to kill eggs. Fake Cuban cigars can be a real problem because there have been no controls. I would assume non-Cuban cigar manufacturers also have treatment methods.
Well my cigars are in for a rough summer.  I doubt the girlfriend is going to run her AC much as it barely works anyway, and we're both too poor to run it much as is. 
*shrug*  But they should all be gone before it gets too warm. Tongue
Djaric Wrote:Well my cigars are in for a rough summer.  I doubt the girlfriend is going to run her AC much as it barely works anyway, and we're both too poor to run it much as is. 
*shrug*  But they should all be gone before it gets too warm. Tongue

Just keep your eyes on them. Even if the worst happens you'll pick right up on it and get it taken care of. Our house will be close to 80 through spring because we don't use the ac until outside temps go 90+.
Yea, im just waiting for the little buggers to show up. 
Into the freezer they go!  Tongue