Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To freeze or not to freeze
Don't you think your cigars that you bought at your local shop had endured at least as much as an afternoon spent on your porch?
They came form a Caribbean island. Trucked from the storage house to a ship (I can only imagine what that truck looked like)
Spent several weeks in the hold of a ship.
Went thought customs in Miami
Back onto a truck to a distributor
another truck to your local shop.

What your cigars are going through is nothing new.
That old adage about not allowing your cigars to get over 77 degrees because it causes beetles is hogwash. You get beetles from live fertile eggs. The manufacturers pretty much ensures there are no live fertile eggs on the leaves when it's shipped otherwise it would cost them a fortune.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(06-03-2011, 09:10 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: Don't you think your cigars that you bought at your local shop had endured at least as much as an afternoon spent on your porch?
They came form a Caribbean island. Trucked from the storage house to a ship (I can only imagine what that truck looked like)
Spent several weeks in the hold of a ship.
Went thought customs in Miami
Back onto a truck to a distributor
another truck to your local shop.

What your cigars are going through is nothing new.
That old adage about not allowing your cigars to get over 77 degrees because it causes beetles is hogwash. You get beetles from live fertile eggs. The manufacturers pretty much ensures there are no live fertile eggs on the leaves when it's shipped otherwise it would cost them a fortune.

Thanks Skipper,

Once you jammed it down my throat like that, I get it !!! LOL !!!! Big GrinBig Grin

I guess I hadn't considered their early life before they hit my overheated porch. It was exactly the over 77 degree "fable" that was stuck in my head. I feel better about it now !!!

And Thanks for everyones input !!!! Even the Nabisco Elves !!!!!
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.
Steven Wright
I also freeze and have since I started smoking and did my homework as usual.

Yes the tobacco companies spend a bunch of money to curb it.

Yes, some even use irradiation. I also tried that and it works too.

If all do what they are supposed to by fumigating, irradiation and freezing, WHY do we have beetle outbreaks? I know john has. I have and that's when I tried the irradiation to see if it worked and it does. I still have the box in my 118* garrage to prove it. LOL
So that makes Bob and myself a believer.

Oh, JR cigar does it.
In JR's new Burlington, North Carolina, warehouse and distribution center, Rothman installed a 40-by-60-foot freezer big enough for a tractor trailer. Purchased from a food products manufacturer, the freezer ensures that the millions of cigars that pass through JR's warehouse every month don't go out infested with beetles. "Freezing the cigars cracks the larvae and kills the eggs and the adults," says Rothman. "Before shipping the cigars we have to do all we can to avoid any problems. We've had no disasters yet."

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the over 77* is a myth, its been proven that temps above that is where the beetles hatch. So if you were unfortunate enough to get to have some unhatched beetles in one of your cigars that somehow made it through all the obstacles the manufactures have in place and you stored it for a couple of days above 77* they will hatch.

Working at a cigar shop and visiting as many as I do, I can assure you that the manufacturers don't have the beetles beat. Although they are not as bad as they use to be, they are still a problem.

That being said, I don't believe that the average cigar smoker needs to be to concerned about freezing sticks. If for no other reason than it being a pain in the ass. But without a commercial freezer you would just be wasting time.

As far as summer arrivals are concerned, Skipper's exactly right. Your cigars are tougher than most of us think they are and you should not have any problems with them.
Dont know if its right or wrong but I freeze everything. I have a deep freeze that stays -5 to -10 degrees F. I keep them in there for 72 hours then move them to a cooler to rest for a couple days before introducing them into my other coolers. Supposedly that's cold enough to freeze them. If anything it gives me a little piece of mind. Who knows, Im learning and having fun doing it.
Branden

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi
Piece of mind is it. If you plan to store and age for more than a few years, I would freeze. It does take 3+ days below. My freezer hits -20.

SOOOO you think it can't happen?

[Image: buggy_pams.jpg]

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I was in the Spartanburg/Greenville SC area last week and stopped at a few shops. Three had boxes in their humidor with beetle damage and one actually had an infestation so bad I actually saw beetles in a couple of boxes. I don't think I have ever seen something that disturbing in a shop and the guys working there seemed oblivious to the problem.
Wow thats crazy
--Mike
I thought i saw some place that that photo is a fake. Not to say it can't happen. Bands don't look right
No Justice, No Peace!
(06-05-2011, 07:28 PM)nayslayer Wrote: I thought i saw some place that that photo is a fake. Not to say it can't happen. Bands don't look right

I assure those are real. Just like these. It does happen to someone every day somewhere.

[Image: ryj_beetles.jpg]