Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They dont sell wiper refils for a boat
I got all of my wiper motors working again (mostly, the electronics are shot I need to rewire them but they work)... But...I need new wipers. They costs $30 each. I need 3. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $100 on rubber!!! So I went to my local automotive store and no wiper will fit my arm... OK, I buy 3 refills for $12. I get home, remove the steel bracket, take out my old wiper and fit the old steel slides on the new rubber, put it on my stainless arm and viola! WIPERS FOR $10!!!

(so I celebrated by buying a $55 net for fishing Tongue )
Sorry Skipper, but those expensive wipers have special chemicals in them to resist the harsh ocean environment....sea salts, squidworth and spongebob.   LOL!!!    Just kiddin!   Thats pretty darn smart to do that!  

Its the same thing for the rear wiper of my wifes vehicle.   You need to buy the whole darn arm, spring and blade as one unit.  WTF!   Unfortunately, there was really no real way to fabricate a solution like yours...    $40 wiper that still does not work for shit, just to see a 5" smudge across the back window!  err!
admin Wrote:Sorry Skipper, but those expensive wipers have special chemicals in them to resist the harsh ocean environment....sea salts, squidworth and spongebob.   LOL!!!    Just kiddin!   Thats pretty darn smart to do that!  

Its the same thing for the rear wiper of my wifes vehicle.   You need to buy the whole darn arm, spring and blade as one unit.  WTF!   Unfortunately, there was really no real way to fabricate a solution like yours...    $40 wiper that still does not work for shit, just to see a 5" smudge across the back window!  err!

get any old refill, remove the old rubber form the old arm and I'll bet the metal "slides" (stainless steel strips of metal that slides into groves on the rubber and slides into the arm) can be made to fit.

A few years ago I had pre-heaters on my engines (diesels can be tricky to start in cold weather, these things heated the air before atomization). They were high amperage so they worked off of a relay actuated by the ignition keys. One burned out... $60 and it had to be ordered form Sweden (Volvo engines). The next year the other burned out and the price went up to $80... I didn't buy it thinking it wasn't necessary but the engine with the heater started so much faster in the winter... So I went to an automotive store and bought for $18 a horn relay. I was told by my mechanic that it would not last... 4 years later the OEM part burnt out, the horn relay was still working when I replaced the engines!