Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The skipper is going into deep freeze
I have found for the second time in a few weeks signs of Beatles. It seems to be contained in a single box and is just at the beginning. No bugs, just 2 of 8 cigars with holes and a few crumbs.

I found the first one when I opened the box. I wasn't sure. Only a single hole and a little crumb. I thought maybe it was just a hole. I carefully inspected the cigars, cleaned up the crumbs and smoked the one with the hole in it. I watched things carefully for a few weeks then bam. Another cigar with a hole and more crumbs.

The box is now in the freezer with the stogies. There is no sign anything ever left the box so I am at least hopeful it is all contained.

The thing is I got this box from a good friend. I know telling him will crush him. I am 99.999% sure the buggies never left their comfortable home in this box. But not telling him can do more harm in case I am wrong. i could just say that if I have received any cigars in a box from any of your guys in the last say 6 months, check your stashes carefully!
Can you describe the crumbs or show us a pic?  With the record temps around here, I have been afraid of bugs.
What temp do we need to maintain?

Do we bag the box/sticks?

How Long?

Do we acclimate the stogies for a day in the fridge first?

Do we double bag with baking soda in the outer bag to ward off Freezer odor?

The reason I ask, I am going on vacation next week. It would be a good time to stash the contents of my humidors/cooladors in the shop freezer
Damn sorry to hear this Skipper but at least you caught it early and hopefully have it contained like you said to one box. :?
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
all cleaned up and as I said in the freezer now.

The crumbs were just a bit of tobacco scraps in the box. The box is white so spotting it was easy.

This is only the third time in my life I have had this. The first time was a serious infestation in a box I bought form a local store. Every cigar had holes in it. I brought it back before it went into my humidor (good thing back then I had a small 200 count and everything came out of the box before it went in otherwise I may have simply dropped in the box and suffered for it). The second time was 2 or 3 cigars in a box with holes (holes through the cello too). I froze the box, smoked the holy cigars and everything was fine.

Like I said, I had inspected these 9 cigars carefully and was watching them. I even separated them for a few weeks in a cooler but all seemed fine after that 1 stick. My last inspection was Saturday. Last night I found the crumbs and the hole.
banzaitoyota Wrote:What temp do we need to maintain?

How Long?

The reason I ask, I am going on vacation next week. It would be a good time to stash the contents of my humidors/cooladors in the shop freezer
Throw the box or cigars in a ziplock bag and throw in the freeze for at least 48 hours than acclimate in the fridge for at least 24 hours, I usually let them go 48 hours before I pull them out
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
banzaitoyota Wrote:What temp do we need to maintain?

How Long?

Keep 'em under 70.  Only freeze if you have bugs.
Skip, when you got the box was it sealed or open?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I have NEVER subscribed to that "OMG, if my cigars get hot I get beetles" theory.

I believe the cigars and the leaves have been exposed to temps well in excess of 90 degrees for most of their lives. Fermentation, Storage sheds in Cuba, Nicaragua, Honduras, DR, shipping running across the Caribbean sea, UPS trucks, etc.

I believe that 99.99999999999999% of the cigars and tobacco are beetle free. You get the problem only if there are live eggs on or in the cigars. And this can happen & will happen at any temp (but more likely above 70). Many many times over the past 20 years my cigars have been over 70 & 80 degrees. And as I said, no issues except when an infested box has been brought in.

Jimbo, the box was opened.

Now that I think about it I will be tossing my traveldors in the freezer as well tonight. I used them to transport the offending cigars before I lit them up.

The cigars and box are in the freezer now. A sub-zero job I use for bait. The cigars have been removed form the box and are double bagged. The box is by itself and bagged as well. The box will NEVER be back in my humidor. The cigars after 2 to 3 days of freezing will spend some time acclimating then finally at least a month or forever in quarantine.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:I have NEVER subscribed to that "OMG, if my cigars get hot I get beetles" theory.

I believe the cigars and the leaves have been exposed to temps well in excess of 90 degrees for most of their lives. Fermentation, Storage sheds in Cuba, Nicaragua, Honduras, DR, shipping running across the Caribbean sea, UPS trucks, etc.

I believe that 99.99999999999999% of the cigars and tobacco are beetle free. You get the problem only if there are live eggs on or in the cigars. And this can happen & will happen at any temp (but more likely above 70). Many many times over the past 20 years my cigars have been over 70 & 80 degrees. And as I said, no issues except when an infested box has been brought in.

Jimbo, the box was opened.

Now that I think about it I will be tossing my traveldors in the freezer as well tonight. I used them to transport the offending cigars before I lit them up.

The cigars and box are in the freezer now. A sub-zero job I use for bait. The cigars have been removed form the box and are double bagged. The box is by itself and bagged as well. The box will NEVER be back in my humidor. The cigars after 2 to 3 days of freezing will spend some time acclimating then finally at least a month or forever in quarantine.
I agree with you 100% Skipper, my humi has been above 80 degrees and no beetles