Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Toe?
http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/12/23B538EC-A31E-48B4-9B2A-70A092E5608D.html

Think they will meet at the CT Bar?
They will have to meet somewhere Skip ..... its all going to kick off in that region very soon.

I never wrote much about last tour, but here is the summary.

The government raised the price of fuel by 100%

The wages and salaries were then capped.

Money could not be withdrawn from banks using the Azerbank system (all locals use this system)

Troops stormed the Radio and TV stations and shut them down, confiscated computers and arrested key players for a little too much freedom of speach.

The president left the country in a hurry under a little more armed guard than usual.

All public meetings were banned.

Russia threatened to cut of all of their electricity supply to Azerbiajan (the provide 80% of the country's requirement)

Russia also threaten to cut off gas supply.

Russia re-issue their support for Armenia.

Various "test" launches were carried out from land bases and ships in the Caspian.

The whole region is situated over an as yet very under-estimated amount of oil and gas. This of course means unbelievable amounts of money for whoever has control of it.

Russia are obviously a little more than gutted that it is no longer theirs. The support they are giving Armenia is seen as little more than a front for them looking to take over some of the oil wealth should a war result.

It does not take a rocket scientist to work out that the surrounding area and its nut job rulers are all rubbing their hands and drooling over the Caspian region. All of the countries around the Caspian have a share in the resourse to some extent within their own borders, most of these countries are very poor and under developed.

Watch this space. Confusedhock:
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
good god...
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:good god...

Thats what I said when we heard that there was some civil unrest. None of our team are in the country at the moment ....... as a result of the client giving us a few weeks off over Christmas as a bonus ........ I reckon its just a bit hot there just now, and the Christian holiday could be seen as a catalist for more unrest, so they used the holiday as an excuse to get us out for the time being.

I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for any signs that the hard-core fundamentasists are getting any support. The government have supressed it in the past, but these things always appeal to the poor when they are angry and being made poorer than ever ......... thats how the religion started after all.

The people are really messed up ....... some want the Russians back, some want to be more like Iran and others want to be more like the West, the biggest problem is that none of these wishes can be afforded by any of the people other than those in control who are unbelievably wealthy in comparison to even you and I, so you can imagine where they are in comparison to a local Azeri.

Not good just now, but where is in the world?

:?
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Parkster Wrote:...where is in the world?

anyplace that doesn't involve religious fanatics and oil.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Parkster Wrote:...where is in the world?

anyplace that doesn't involve religious fanatics and oil.
Bikini Atoll is the only place that comes to mind at this point.
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.