Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
I got my May/June BYO Mag. lastnight when I got home from school.  Looks like a good issue with some good receipes.   LC I will post them after I read the mag if there any good.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
you're saying this as if I could have resisted subscribing after reading the first one I got for free- ok, actually if you don't tell them to stop they keep sending you more, but that first one was so awesome there was no way I was going to tell them to stop.

If it's the one w/ "Austin Powers" on the front, I'm already knee deep in it bro, and there are some great articles.  I'm putting together a collection right now of belgian ale recipies for a coworker who wants to do a few belgian ale batches and have them around for parties.  So any partial mash recipies y'all have, I am game on. 
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:you're saying this as if I could have resisted subscribing after reading the first one I got for free- ok, actually if you don't tell them to stop they keep sending you more, but that first one was so awesome there was no way I was going to tell them to stop.

If it's the one w/ "Austin Powers" on the front, I'm already knee deep in it bro, and there are some great articles.  I'm putting together a collection right now of belgian ale recipies for a coworker who wants to do a few belgian ale batches and have them around for parties.  So any partial mash recipies y'all have, I am game on. 
Yup, thats it.  I want the double chocolate stout, it looks damn good.  I have had it before but I bet it would be better home brewed Tongue
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
PO Wrote:
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:you're saying this as if I could have resisted subscribing after reading the first one I got for free- ok, actually if you don't tell them to stop they keep sending you more, but that first one was so awesome there was no way I was going to tell them to stop.

Yup, thats it.  I want the double chocolate stout, it looks damn good.  I have had it before but I bet it would be better home brewed Tongue
that double choc stout would be a great homebrew!!  I had a few recently, and recall thinking there'd be a few things I'd want to tweak if given the opportunity.  Man I wish we all lived closer, be great to have a brew club together.
I was also very interested about the breakdown for Newcastle.  I had never heard of several beers being mixed to make one beer.  (for those who don't have this handy) The way it was said in the article is that Newcastle Brown Ale is the combination of part Old Ale- which is aged about 2-3 months, and part amber ale- a different batch and a younger ale.  I have heard of Scotches being done this way, but that's a first for the beers
And Newcastle is one of my top 5 beers
PO Wrote:And Newcastle is one of my top 5 beers
absolutely!  if it weren't for me wanting to try all sorts of different beers, thhat's normally the only beer in the house, now I have become anal about wanting brown non twist bottles, so Newcastle is on the back burner until I make this combo aged ale / amber ale.
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:
PO Wrote:And Newcastle is one of my top 5 beers
absolutely!  if it weren't for me wanting to try all sorts of different beers, thhat's normally the only beer in the house, now I have become anal about wanting brown non twist bottles, so Newcastle is on the back burner until I make this combo aged ale / amber ale.
Nothing wrong with that.    I keep it in my monthly rotation at least a 12 pack a month.  Right now I'm on a case of the Fat Tire Ale.  Need to get to Bev N Mo to restock my 22oz assorted bottles. Big Grin
that's why i only drink newcastle on tap (from non-transparent kegs!). clear bottles are like kryptonite to hop oils. well... no.... actually uv light is, but anyway... and miller apparently uses treated hop oils that don't get affected... but, where was i going with this?

hell, just drink what you like.Big Grin
something that has come up in several places of reading recently that I've wanted to bring up here.  My initial reading in "Complete Joy.." and the instruction I have gotten in other places has said to boil the malt extract the full time of the boil. 

Recently, several places I have read suggestions that either don't include the liquid malt extract until after boil is done, or speak very strongly about NOT boiling liquid extract.  Anyone care to enlighten this curious gnome?