Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
boil. boil the hell out of any malt extract. if you don't boil (at least 1 hour) you'll wind up with leftover unfermentable sugars. just imagine... dangling a bunch of inedible food in front of those poor starving yeasties. unforgivable!
we ahve been talking about doing this if we ever get any money but I do not think I could wait for it to fermentBig Grin
actually, once you get going, it doesn't seem like much waiting, especially if you get a system where you can have several batches going at the same time.  But really, even when I just did those two batches back to back, it really ate up the waiting time. 
Bungalowbill Wrote:boil. boil the hell out of any malt extract. if you don't boil (at least 1 hour) you'll wind up with leftover unfermentable sugars. just imagine... dangling a bunch of inedible food in front of those poor starving yeasties. unforgivable!

here's the folks from Cooper's talking about this.  interesting stuff, they come straight out and just say charlie is wrong.

http://www.cascadiabrew.com/damn_it_jim.asp 

don't know if I belive them, but the irst batch I did was one from Cooper's, and I boiled it and it turned out really good.
they still aren't accounting for sugar chains. unless they somehow boil, then dehydrate their "special" extract, i don't see how you get around boiling. not to mention bittering hops needing some good boil time for isomerization... anyways.. i suggest skipping all this nonsense (what they say about extracts being of dubious quality and freshness is valid) and going all-grain. it's very easy to tell if grain is fresh or not, and you have total control over the color and composition of your brew. i'm not saying there aren't very good extracts, but it's like saying "this is great instant coffee." knowwhatimean?
Bungalowbill Wrote:but it's like saying "this is great instant coffee." knowwhatimean?
LMAO, yeah, definitely a great point.  

ok, I don't even know how to say this.  opened the brown ale yesterday, and it was awful.  No carbonation, and so all the sugars were sitting there, making it WAY too sweet, and I guess some sugars must have fermented, because there was this alcohol taste that was like grain alcohol, I was heartbroken.  I opened one, and knew something was wrong, because it didn't even have the pop to it that even the low carbonated stout had.  I poured, nothing, so I opened a second bottle, nothing.  I put a third one in the fridge, and I'll open that this evening, and we'll see if it was just some consistency problems, but I was definitely glad to have two people with me who knew that pain.  My wife and a friend of ours were there and both of them do pottery, and have had the experience of a piece in a kiln exploding and ruining every piece in the kiln, so you can't have any attachment to your art.  And so I am learning that lesson, but apparently i have bottling issues, and if it was physics this time, it would have been the opposite problem, which I didn't think could happen, but maybe it can.  Two other issues I think it may have been are either the priming sugar or the bottler.  The priming sugar for this one, I ran low on powdered priming sugar, but had some of these solid drops for bottling, and probably should have just used those as they were and might have been fine.  So I put those drops in the water &  priming sugar that I boiled and then put that in the bottling bucket and siphoned over the beer and bottled. 

But, Damnit, there was a good beer in there, so I may just do another batch of this and see if i can get it do turn out better this time.  I am heartbroken, but I knew this was bound to happen eventually, just didn't think two in a row! 

LC, I am sorry to hear that.  But as you said you can't get attached and you live and learn by experience.  Sitting on your left shoulder......keg.....keg.....keg.....flys away. Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
I'll give you guys one thing for sure, you're consistant w/ the keg thing.  If I was drinking it all, I would, hands down.  But most of each batch leaves this house to be consumed elsewhere, so bottling makes more sense for that, to me. 

Back to the drawing board, I was looking over that brown ale recipe this morning, I still think I would like to do it again.
Lc what was the final outcome of the Irish Outmeal stout?
I will know that in several days.