Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Buckeye: Tasty Snack, Poisonous Chestnut, Or Football Powerhouse?
http://www.lima.ohio-state.edu/trees/buckname.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Buckeye
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,197,159178-224192,00.html

[Image: BuckeyeNut.JPG]

The use of the term Buckeyes to refer to Ohio State University sports teams derives from the even wider use of the
term to refer to all residents of the state of Ohio. The university's Athletic Council officially adopted the term in
1950, but it had been in common use for many years before -- certainly it was firmly established by 1920, and most records indicate that it had probably been used with some frequency to refer to Ohio State and its athletic teams since before the turn of the century.

As with many such terms that seem to have evolved rather than been decreed, the history of "buckeye" is a bit fuzzy. The
buckeye (Aesculus glabra) is a tree, native to Ohio and particularly prevalent in the Ohio River Valley, whose shiny dark
brown nuts with lighter tan patches resemble the eye of a deer.  Settlers who crossed the Alleghenies found it to be the only unfamiliar tree in the forest -- perhaps its uniqueness contributed to its popularity because it had few other
attractions.

The nuts, although inedible, are attractive and folk wisdom has it that carrying one in a pocket brings good luck and wards off rheumatism. However, in general, the trees and their nuts are of little practical use: the wood does not burn well, the bark has an unpleasant odor, and the bitter nut meat is mildly toxic.

The Ohio buckeye's five-fingered leaflet, along with the nut, are sometimes used as symbols for The Ohio State University and are incorporated in its Alumni Association logo. Buckeye leaf decals are awarded to Ohio State football players for outstanding efforts on the field; players with many buckeye leaves on their helmets are indeed honored. It is rare for an athletic team to be named after a tree; but the Buckeye name is so ingrained in the history and lore of
the state and the university that few stop to consider how unusual it is. It is native, tenacious, attractive and unique --
traits that Ohioans and Ohio State alumni are proud to be associated with.

[Image: Brutus.jpg]

And here is a good recipe to make the tasty candy:

BUCKEYES CANDY

1 1/2 sticks softened butter
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. finely chopped nuts (opt.)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together. Roll into balls the size of a buckeye. Chill. Melt 1/4 to 1/2 bar paraffin (wax) and 8 to 12 ounces milk chocolate. Insert toothpick into the chilled candy and dip into chocolate. Leave a small area near top without chocolate to represent a buckeye. Yields: 80 to 100 pieces of candy.

[Image: BuckeyeCandy.jpg]

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
The candies are delicous, and one of my favorite treats that I only seem to get around this time of year!

Oh yeah, and that football team is ok too....Tongue

GO BUCKS!
I'll give that recipe to the wife tonight. We get those around this time every year from one of our accounts in Akron. I love 'em. (the candy, not the team)
discdog Wrote:I'll give that recipe to the wife tonight. We get those around this time every year from one of our accounts in Akron. I love 'em. (the candy, not the team)

fabulous!  just dont go making any quite yet ;-)

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool