Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tatuaje Unicos
Review & a short story..

On a recent trip to Ocala, Florida my brother and I decided to take a ride to Ybor city in Tampa. My brother, new to the cigar world was quite excited when I told him I knew were we could find some Opus at a reasonable price. When we pulled of the interstate into Ybor city, we were trying to find Tampa sweethearts. A few wrong turns here and there brought us past a few cigar shops, just not the one we were looking for. We finally found our place and made the score of a life time. Hemi maduros, anejo's, and limited edition opus in glass tubes with the 2005 band. It was the score of the year, so I thought. After we had bought all we could at Tampa sweethearts we headed into town to check out the museum. It was actually very informative and had a lot of information about how cigars really got a kick start in the states. Following up our visit to the museum with a cuban sandwich from the tropicana and a stroll through the square we headed off to find one of the shops we passed on our way to our first destination. When we arrived we opened the door to the store and sitting on a little table was an assortment of Tatuaje cigars. We picked up a bunch of each along with some others stuff and left with smiles from ear to ear. On the way home we decided to light up one of the cigars we had just purchased. We chose to smoke the Unicos. So here's my review....

This torpedo shaped cigar measures in at 6 and 1/8 inches long with a ring gauge of 52. The Tatuaje line is made in the El rey de los habanos factory in little havana, Miami. They are very small production and quite hard to find.

The wrapper on this cigar was a dark brown with a few small veins running the lenth. It had a nice oily sheen and seemed to be applied quite well. A quick sniff of the foot gave a heavy earthy aroma and looking at the foot you could see the ligero leaves wrapped in the filler.

We cut these with my Xicar cutter and took about a clean 1/4 inch off the top. The prelight draw was nice and revealed some earth and spice.

We toasted the feet and quickly filled the inside of the car with a smell that will please the senses of any cigar smoker. The first puff delivered a nice, slightly heavy spice with a almost sweet undertone. Kind of like the red hot candies.

After lighting, the cigar was drawing kind of tight so I decided to take an other 1/8 inch off the head and that seemed to do the trick. The draw loosened up and loads of thick smoke that was full of spice filled our mouths and brought to life all of our senses.

The ash on this cigar was a light grey and was slightly flaky. It would stay for about an inch at a time before it felt like it needed to be knocked off. With a tap it would drop right into the ashtray.

I would defiantly not call this a complex cigar. But I wouldn't call it one dimensional either. In the first third of the cigar it had a heavy peppery spice that I think we enjoyed a lot. The second third the spice kind of mellowed and gave way to a kind of woody, leathery flavor with the spice kind of tapping its feet in the back round. The last third the spice came back in full force and decided to stay for the duration of the cigar. We smoked these till about an inch and a half and loved every second of them. It was defiantly not the best cigar I have ever had but is with out a doubt one of the most memorable. And I say that for two reasons, one because it was a good cigar and two because I got to share it with my brother who lives about 8 states away, who I get to see once every year or two. I hope to be able to share more cigar memories with him in the future. I am not sure how this cigar will age but hope to find out in a few years.

On the CA scale I would rate this cigar a 90

Salud & Enjoy
Sounds like a GREAT day and a great cigar!  Nice review Ridgerunner.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Very nice review ridgerunner. This is an excellent cigar, but I would recommend buying more and giving them some serious age. These will be wonderful in a year or so. Right now they are an "in-your-face" smoke.

Sounds like a great trip you had.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Thanks fellas,

DOC, I have about 18 left and probably wont get around to trying another for at least 2 years.  Im hopeing they do age well but dont loose much of the peppery spice they had in the first and last third. That was one of the flavors I had enjoyed in this cigar. And as with alot of the other cigars I have aged for a few years, Im guessing some of the other flavors hidden in the backround will become more detectable with age( or at least I hope). I didnt find this cigar to be as in your face as some of the others I have tried from Tatuaje. But thats just me.

It definately was a great trip!! Now If they would just get another shipment soon!!??

Mike
Great review and an excellent cigar.They smoke better with a lil age but I like the way the smoke young.
One of my favorites.
Very nice review Ridgerunner.  I just picked up a box of these also.

Box code is ERH MAY 06.  Very young cigars which I plan on aging.
Fun review.
I love the Tatuajes.

Does your brother live in Florida?
I would like to hear more about your other activities on this trip.
Grew up in Orlando, and kinda miss the Sunshine State.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
B-dub,

Yes my brother lives in florida. Just outside of Ocala. Most of my family lives in the area,some are a little south though.We kind of had a small family reunion at my mothers house and flew in some family from California. It was also my grandmothers 80th birthday. They live in a golf cart retirement community called On top of the World. They have A few golf courses, a couple diffrent club houses. Each club house has a pool. One has a pub/resturant. It's a nice place. I would actually consider moveing there when I retire. Mostly hung around the pool and had some drinks. Smoked a load of great cigars with my brother. The first day we smoked a boli corona extra from 2001, padron 40th Anni., and finished the night with a Opus RdC. Hell of a day. It was a great trip and I had the chance to introduce my brother to alot of excellent cigars. If you want send me an ss and we can shoot the $h!t..

Mike