Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tatuaje Especial
after smoking this fine stick, i felt i should write it up, not just because it's an outstanding smoke now, but the aging potential, i have a hunch, is really something.

at 7.5 X 38, the especial is one of those skinny shapes that requires some real talent to roll. sure enough the draw is only slightly firm and pretty much right on. flawless construction all around, with ruler-straight sides and a perfect three-seam pigtail cap. the size lets you taste the oily, deep brown wrapper much more than the thicker gauges. full bodied, with plenty of power, it starts off with a peppery zing (still young) then goes into light leather, wood, and straight up tobacco flavors for the first half. then things get really interesting...

i sensed at least three major changes through the last half. much more power emerges, with deep earth, leather, and hints of dark bean. amazingly for this thin of a cigar, it never gets hot while approaching the nub. winds up with a wonderfully refreshing cayenne pepper flavor that almost fizzes on the tongue. with all this going on, i'm convinced to go ahead and get a box for aging, which should smooth out some of the early pepper and bring out more of the sweet earth and chocolate notes which for now lay just under the surface.

most panetelas are way too aggressive for me when young, but this one pushes things almost to the limit then yields just right, providing a spectrum of flavor i rarely encounter in any stick. i don't hesitate to give it a solid 93 now, a stellar smoke right out of the box. a year or three of age could turn it into an all-timer.
Great review.

I absolutely LOVE the Lancero format.  It's such an elegant, connoisseur's cigar.  Even though you have to draw slowly as to not overheat it, the Lancero format completely makes up for it in taste.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:Great review.

I absolutely LOVE the Lancero format.  It's such an elegant, connoisseur's cigar.  Even though you have to draw slowly as to not overheat it, the Lancero format completely makes up for it in taste.
agreed.  love the lancero size.  padilla miami 8&11, lfd, 20 year old cuban davidoff you just can't beat them.
Excellent review BB.  This is one I need to try!
[user=19]Mark[/user] wrote:
Quote:Great review.

great point, mark. i'm naturally a slow smoker, so it's automatic with me, but toking gently is definitely something to keep in mind when tackling the skinny sticks.

the more i think about this cigar, the more amped i get. it really was an amazing smoke. i've got some year old lfd lanceros.... think i'm gonna have to round out things by getting some trinidad fundi's and the especiales, a trifecta of slim bliss. joy to the sickness. Big Grin
Excellent review BB!!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Great review!

Funny how I always love the long, thin cigars and never buy them. (Except for the Fundadores sleeping soundly in the tower!) Had my eye on the Cuban La Gloria Cubanas for a while now, however. Anybody have an experience with those? I hear that they are a lot milder, but with soft aromas of tea and honey.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
I was gifted one some time ago Dub and found it to be wonderful, medium bodied with smooth sweet flavors as i remember.
Great review.  I agree with Mark. They must be smoked slowly as to not overheat the cigar.  The tatuaje especiales has some great flavors.

A great inexpensive lancero I just tried the other day was the R y J Porto Real in the tube. 

I normally dont go after most of the dominican romeo line but this had a great balance of subtlty and flavor