Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tasting cigars
Hey, I've only been into cigars for a few months. And I have trouble mostly with appreciating the difference in flavors. Not to sound un intelligent, but they mostly taste like burning leaves. (sorry, I had to be honest)

My friend taught me how to smoke hookah. And there is a technique to that, to let the smoke roll over your tongue on the initial inhale, to get the flavor. Is there something similar to cigars?

Usually I go online and read a review or two, and learn what I should be searching for as I puff away.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated.

Well it may be the cigars you're smoking. Are they crap? That could account for a lack of complexity. Not every smoke has complex flavors. Some taste the same from start to finish. In your case, it could be a burning leaf taste throughout the cigar.

Are you retrohaling? I assume you inhale (not into your lungs) and then exhale. Retrohaling is exhaling through your nose like when you laugh drinking milk and it goes out your nose. It was difficult for me at first, but once you get the hang of it you can pick up some flavors you don't from just a regular inhale. I find spice notes through my retrohaling. Here's a video on that from the great Doc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMcDOSypco8
"For the man who takes success with ease"
I've been experimenting with retrohaling. I see smok comming out of my nose, so I must be doing something right. It's still hard to pick out the flavors.

I've been trying a lot of different kinds of cigars, gurkhas, rocky patels, 5 vegas, acids (I don't count them as not being able to taste the flavors, It's hard to taste anything after lighting one of those up), and a bunch of others. Every week I try to have at least one new one that I have no idea about. Just a random stick that I have from sampler packs.
It does take time for your tastes to develop.

BTW....I hope you do not keep the Acids in the same humidor as your other cigars.

Un the end....smoke what you like & like what you smoke.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Keep smoking them.  It will come around. Also try french inhaling, but remember...if you inhale the smoke into your lungs, the flavor gets muddied and tainted....just my opinion...[potofgold]
flash Wrote:Hey, I've only been into cigars for a few months. And I have trouble mostly with appreciating the difference in flavors. Not to sound un intelligent, but they mostly taste like burning leaves. (sorry, I had to be honest)

My friend taught me how to smoke hookah. And there is a technique to that, to let the smoke roll over your tongue on the initial inhale, to get the flavor. Is there something similar to cigars?

Usually I go online and read a review or two, and learn what I should be searching for as I puff away.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated.

Ummm.....You are smoking burning leaves.  [lol][winner]