Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanning a deerskin...anyone with experience in this subject?
In preparation of the hunt, I've thought about saving the hide, having it tanned, etc., but don't know how to go about it. I've read about rubbing salt on the flesh-side and using Borax, etc., wrapping it up, putting it in the freezer, taking it to the tanner. (Don't know of any in the area where I live or where I'll be...)

I'm travelling by SUV, so I can take a cooler with me if necessary. I know a lot of people just leave the hide in the woods.

Any thoughts, experiences in this subject? I'll be checking in today and tomorrow...after that I'll have limited/no access.

Thanks in advance!
I'd ask Tank.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Make sure you scrape ALL of the fat and tissue off of the inside skin before salting, rolling tightly, and freezing. A cooler kept full of ice should be fine for short term storage. I used to use a small ulu-type knife for the scraping, you don't want to ruin the hide by accidentally putting a hole in it.

Upstate there was a tanner who would trade your hide for a pair of finished gloves. I tried brain tanning myself once, but it's a hell of a lot of work. It turned out okay, but not near as well as a professional could have done. Also once left a hide in the snow to pick up later, when I returned some critter had made off with it. Big Grin

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

It is a lot of trouble. years ago I was into tanning hides, but got tired of having funky deer hides shedding all over the house. Look for a taxidermist in your area. they might be able to help you out. Now I just have the head mounted if it has a quality rack. Otherwise, it gets left with the gut pile.
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.
-Jimmy Buffett
A buddy and I have done a lot of our own taxidermy the past few years to save cash...they may not turn out as perfect as the taxidermist would have it but look pretty darn good (and end up costing around $50 compared to $400).

I have done the tanning kit before on a couple hides that was a pain in the ash checking ph levels and neutralizing the solution...still had the hair fall out of one with that process. The past couple hides we've done (that have turned out perfect), we simply fleshed the hide normally, but then took the next several layers of membrane off by running it under a wire wheel brush on a grinder (till nothing but solid white skin is left). Next we stretched the hide on a board and nailed the edges (every few inches), and generously covered the hide with non iodized salt. Let it sit with the salt for a few weeks, re applying salt as needed. The hide will be really stiff when its done, so we take it back to the grinding wheel which will leave you with a thin soft almost velvet feeling leather (you can work out other hard spots by rolling the hide and tieing it closed like you would breaking in a new baseball glove). I was skeptical when I first heard the process I thought it wouldn't preserve it properly but after about a dozen or so hides between the two of us we havn't had any problems (no hair falling out, no smell), just great looking deer rugs! Good luck this season and with the hide!
I saw a few in Arizona my last trip out there. I tried to suggest some spf 50 but they were drunk and wouldn't listen.. Wink
No Justice, No Peace!
Hair on or off?

Trust me, hair off is nicer. You need to scrape off all the fat. Don't use your new knife! It will dull it in no time at all! Then salt the hide, roll it up and get a taxidermist. I think when I had mine done it was $40. But that was a ton of years ago...
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer