Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stogie Fresh Video: Making Cigars
[Image: Making-Cigars-poster.jpg]

Video gets used a lot on the web, but not always to the best effect. For example, I have seen many videos of people rolling cigars, but I was always dissatisfied because there was little or no information on what I was seeing and why it was important. The great thing about video is that it helps people to visualize concepts that are hard to explain with audio only. There is so much video that is either all visuals and no narration, or simply "talking heads." Long story short, I decided to make my own.

The fact is, creating a video like this one takes huge amounts of time. But really, this is the best use of video, in my opinion. Threading together many different clips and then providing explanatory narrative, some music, and still keeping it focused, really allows people to visualize what you are talking about.

I have posted the video in 3 versions: Two Flash pages for streaming: Medium (320 x 240), and Large (480 x 360), and a downloadable version for the iPhone (480 x 320). The iPhone file is a large download (60 MB) but looks very slick when you sync through iTunes and then view it on your iPhone.

You'll find the videos in the Stogie Fresh Media Center: http://www.stogiefresh.com/media.htm

Enjoy.

Doc

--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Doc,

I've listened to your podcast a few times (I'm new to the ipod... what with work and family, who has time to listen to music?) and enjoy what I've heard so far. I am going to give the podcast arena a go in the next few weeks. Working on topics, layout, outlines, etc... I did 9 years in the radio biz, so putting a show together and sitting in front of a mic is not a problem... I just need to figure out a way to make sure it's entertaining and informative. Now THATS where the work comes in.

I am sure you have plenty of smokes for reviews, but if you ever get in a jam I might be able to help out. I've got a B&M with direct accounts with about everyone that counts. LMK if you need anything and I might be able to help. Keep up the good work.

Mike
Great Video Doc, I really enjoyed watching it. I will have to say I've seen a lot of clips of cigar rolling, but that one was very informative and well done. You have put together the best one I have seen to date, great job.
leafandale Wrote:I just need to figure out a way to make sure it's entertaining and informative. Now THATS where the work comes in.

I am sure you have plenty of smokes for reviews, but if you ever get in a jam I might be able to help out. I've got a B&M with direct accounts with about everyone that counts. LMK if you need anything and I might be able to help. Keep up the good work.

Mike
You are so right, Mike. Scripting the video (same with the podcasts) takes a lot of time. Video is harder to edit than audio, though. It's hard not to make it look glitchy. That's why in professional film and video, you see a lot of straight cuts and fewer transition effects.

The balance between information and entertainment is no easy matter. I have to admit, I come down heavy on the information side, but I do try my best to add variety and a little spice. I feel that "content is king." The accuracy and comprehensiveness of the information is very important to me, personally, so I take great pains to get it right on my shows. Same for the video.

BTW, I've bought cigars from you guys many times in the past. (I love the Tatuaje La Maravilla's) You always have great service and excellent product. Thanks.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
That was Bad-ass Doc. Rolling is a tough gig, I gave it a shot once and boy was it hard. Glad that you actually made a couple, 5min on one cigar, hahahahahaha that was great. Much respect to the pros who make us our fine products.

I might be able to learn how to roll at my local B&M, there is also a store that rolls their own not far from my house, maybe I will have a summer job ehh.

Thank u for the great information, big fan, your bastard child, jesse as well

Rock on Doc
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:That was Bad-ass Doc. Rolling is a tough gig, I gave it a shot once and boy was it hard. Glad that you actually made a couple, 5min on one cigar, hahahahahaha that was great. Much respect to the pros who make us our fine products.

I might be able to learn how to roll at my local B&M, there is also a store that rolls their own not far from my house, maybe I will have a summer job ehh.

Thank u for the great information, big fan, your bastard child, jesse as well

Rock on Doc
Yeah Serg, when you learn you'll have to teach me. Fidel couldn't do much for me. Big Grin

There are all levels of experience in a factory. The best are usually seated near the front of the room. They roll the hardest shapes and are typically the most skilled. Those with less experience roll the straight cigars ("parejos"). Or, some people who are working their way up the food chain are "boncheros" or other positions. There is definitely a chance to ascend the ladder, but it takes time and talent.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
AWESOME again doc. Thanks for what you bring us.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Just like you said Doc, the pound of filler leaf is 4-5 bux a lbs. I know wrappper is expensive but, if you bought a variety of filler and say got some one else to pitch in on the wrapper, you could get some good practice. There is a cigar store here in LA called Leons Cigar and its only their blends and they roll right there in the store, every day, and I know we can get filler there..

What im saying is I think we have an activity for the next Central Coast HerfBig Grin
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:Just like you said Doc, the pound of filler leaf is 4-5 bux a lbs. I know wrappper is expensive but, if you bought a variety of filler and say got some one else to pitch in on the wrapper, you could get some good practice. There is a cigar store here in LA called Leons Cigar and its only their blends and they roll right there in the store, every day, and I know we can get filler there..

What im saying is I think we have an activity for the next Central Coast HerfBig Grin
Now THAT would be cool. Cool How much do they charge for wrapper?

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Dr. Stogie Fresh Wrote:
sergione Wrote:Just like you said Doc, the pound of filler leaf is 4-5 bux a lbs. I know wrappper is expensive but, if you bought a variety of filler and say got some one else to pitch in on the wrapper, you could get some good practice. There is a cigar store here in LA called Leons Cigar and its only their blends and they roll right there in the store, every day, and I know we can get filler there..

Now THAT would be cool. Cool How much do they charge for wrapper?

Doc

Around what you said in the video, $40. Quality, its okay, but im sure we would all feel bad if we were playing with say cameroon wrappers. We should start low, maybe Bolivian Tobacco...lol.

I will look into this week and get back to you, filler no problm though.

George Carlin