Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stocking up before SCHIP - Suggestions?
wingo Wrote:
US_Tank Wrote:Despite SCHIP my local liquor store/tobocco shop has their annual penny sale.   Many wines and liquors are buy one get the second for a penny.

Well I just got a box of CAO Brazila's for $70.   Montecristo Platinum 1999 for $121. 

CAO MX2's are on the sale for the next two weeks and Ashton VSG's are 30% off! 
The SCHIP tax will only effect the new inventory.  Anyone charging SCHIP prices on their current inventory is taking advantage of the customer.

How will a shop be able to distinguish what inventory arrived prior to or after April 1st though? I think I saw where retailers were gonna have to start charging that cost effective April 1st to cover their rear because it would be a very drawn out process to determine what was before/after. I'm obviously assuming this is a tax paid by the retailer, not a tax levied against the manufacturer when delivered to the store.
forgop Wrote:
wingo Wrote:
US_Tank Wrote:Despite SCHIP my local liquor store/tobocco shop has their annual penny sale.   Many wines and liquors are buy one get the second for a penny.

Well I just got a box of CAO Brazila's for $70.   Montecristo Platinum 1999 for $121. 

CAO MX2's are on the sale for the next two weeks and Ashton VSG's are 30% off! 
The SCHIP tax will only effect the new inventory.  Anyone charging SCHIP prices on their current inventory is taking advantage of the customer.

How will a shop be able to distinguish what inventory arrived prior to or after April 1st though? I think I saw where retailers were gonna have to start charging that cost effective April 1st to cover their rear because it would be a very drawn out process to determine what was before/after. I'm obviously assuming this is a tax paid by the retailer, not a tax levied against the manufacturer when delivered to the store.
Well most likely they have some sort of inventory. 

This tax will raise the price of cigars more than $.40

It effects the retailers wholesale price.

Maybe Eric or Robbie can comment, because everything I've read is hearsay.
I noticed with my recent purchases from Famous, they had stickers on the boxes and fivers with dates.  I'm guessing these were dates on when they received those items in their inventory.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever remember seeing these stickers before.

-Lucas
I was under the impression that the SCHIP was not going to have a big effect on $5-$10 smokes.

If your buying a $20 cigar then you might see the .40 tax.

I was also told that gas station cigars like Philly Blunts were going to double in price because of it.

The owner of the cigar bar I hang out with told the manufactors are already setting up loopholes to reduce the tax. One way is to discount the price of the cigars and then rebate the cigar shop owner. This is what the cigarette companies use to do.

lucas Wrote:I noticed with my recent purchases from Famous, they had stickers on the boxes and fivers with dates.  I'm guessing these were dates on when they received those items in their inventory.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever remember seeing these stickers before.

-Lucas
Those stickers are hit and miss.  I have seen them on some packs and not on others.  It may become more frequent though...
My local guy has his entire inventory cataloged with barcodes, and each barcode, when scanned, tells him what stock it's from, his purchase date, which box number (all his boxes are numbers and barcoded) and how many sticks should be left in that open box. 
aka: The Bouncer
"I Herfed with The Mum" !! And have the shirt to prove it !!!!
I got my "Big Cock t-shirt from Tankie !!!
Matt-N-Ga. Wrote:My local guy has his entire inventory cataloged with barcodes, and each barcode, when scanned, tells him what stock it's from, his purchase date, which box number (all his boxes are numbers and barcoded) and how many sticks should be left in that open box. 
Wow!  Never have I seen a single with a barcode on it!  The last time I went into the B&M at my local mall I handed the guy the cigar I wanted and he asked me the price!

-Lucas
[user=241]lucas[/user] wrote: 
Quote: The last time I went into the B&M at my local mall I handed the guy the cigar I wanted and he asked me the price!

-Lucas
Umm - I think it was $2.50 - hold on - I think I will just buy the whole box.  Tongue
Heck, Im such good buddies with the owner of my local shop, I walk behind the counter and cash myself out when I buy smokes. I guess its a good thing I'm honest, or I'd have lots of sticks for free, cuz he doesn't pay attention.... When he steps out, and I am there I'll run the register for him... I love having a shop like that.  Trust is everything.
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

[user=241]lucas[/user] wrote: 
Quote:Wow!  Never have I seen a single with a barcode on it!  The last time I went into the B&M at my local mall I handed the guy the cigar I wanted and he asked me the price!

-Lucas

The B&M in Pittsburgh is like this as well.   If you come up with a bunch of different sticks, they'll send you back into the humi if you don't remember the prices! Big Grin

Camaraderie is strong that no one takes advantage