Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking to affect movie ratings system
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/11/film.smoking.reut/index.html

Filmmakers now might get an R rating as a thank you for smoking.
The Motion Picture Assn. of America (MPAA) said Thursday that its rating board will consider film depictions of smoking among the criteria for assigning movie ratings. Anti-tobacco activists have been pressing for an automatic R rating for films with smoking scenes, but MPAA chairman and CEO Dan Glickman rejected the proposal for a more nuanced approach.

I saw this on the news when I was at the gym this morning.  So stupid.
I can think of quite a few G-Rated disney movies and the like that would be R under this. 
Idiots.
Not that they re-rate movies that I'm aware of.
Y'know, I saw this yesterday and it just made me sick!  Now we're censoring art (ie film) in this instance!:X  Think back to when we were kids and what was allowed in movies.  Hell, I remember my mom worrying about me seeing Bambi for the first time because of the mother getting killed by the hunter!  These days kids see worse violence than that on TV for God's sake.  Now they want to say that smoking imagery is so detrimental to young minds that they need to consider it in the rating system...

What about all the violence, misogyny, explicit sexual imagery and implication, not to mention the crude humor and general lack of any behaviors for young people to model in most movies out there. 

People, it's going too far!!!
Hollywood needs to go away.  Soon. 

[user=44]Rob The Long Island Cowboy[/user] wrote:
Quote:Hollywood needs to go away.  Soon. 

It's not Hollywood, it's the fanatical anti-smoking nazis and the political influence they've come to wield. And movies have "ratings" in the first place because of the good old U.S. nannystate, censorship-prone gov't---remember the Hays Commission?

Mac's right. It's censorship. And demonization of a legally available product. And just plain lame.

NANPâ„¢
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
What about smoking on TV?  Are these shows that have someone smoking even briefly, going to be automatically made Mature and only shown at latenight, if at all?
"Oh maybe if we hide it, and make viewing people doing it less accessable the kids wont know about it!"

Yea.  That really worked for sex.  Tongue
I posted this almost 4 moths ago. It is so beyind stupid. I can't see this happening. What;s next, a PG rating is someone goes out without combing his hair?
This makes me think back to Friday nights spent at the movie theaters and all the 15 and 16 year olds smoking cigarettes during their precious few hours of no parental supervision.  Irony?