Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking Style
Recently I have noticed that the way I draw a cigar makes a huge difference in the flavors I experience.

Some cigars need to be drawn lightly and for a short time, with lengthy breaks between puffs (almost like "sipping").  Usually those cigars are the ones that will give a sweet flavor on the exhale.  If they are drawn too hard, long, or quickly, they get very tarry and gross.

Other cigars need to be drawn for a longer time and seem to benefit from a "double puff" where you take a quick draw to get it heated up and then follow it up immediately with a long draw.  Those cigars give a fuller flavor and sometimes are spicier.

By experimenting a bit with each cigar, I find a method that seems to work best for the particular cigar I am smoking.  If I didn't do that, and I just stuck with one style, there would be a lot of great cigars that I would pass up, assuming they were no good.

So how about you?  Do you try to suit your smoking style to the cigar?  Do you notice a difference?

Brad
Personally I smoke the same general way every time. I puff a few times, and exhale through my nose, then every so often I retrohale through my nose... Same way every time.
Scott
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

I guess I change it sometimes according to teh cigar as well. 
Poriggity Wrote:Personally I smoke the same general way every time. I puff a few times, and exhale through my nose, then every so often I retrohale through my nose... Same way every time.
Scott

Ah yes, the good Poriggity Method (PM) surfaces again.

Fife, I'm new enough that I haven't really noticed differences like this, but I'm going to start expermenting. Thanks for that post.

[pirate2]
my draw depends on how the draw of the cigar is, usually consistent though. Puff Puff Exhale.
davidwys Wrote:my draw depends on how the draw of the cigar is, usually consistent though. Puff Puff Exhale.
You forgot to PASSTongue

I love cigars with an easy draw that delivers large clouds of smoke. When the draw is good so is the experience.[cigar]
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin