Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seasoned Humidor....now what?
Well I followed directions through two 24-hour wet and wait periods and was about ready to throw a few new stogies in when I thought I'd go through some due diligence...no better place than stogiechat.com Smile

So here I sit.  I've waited through the first 24 hour period with the sponge soaked in distilled water sitting in the humidor.  Then another 24 hour period just wetted down without the sponge in the humidor.  The hygrometer reading is slightly under 70.  Seems like every source I read from says something different.  One source in particular says no matter what the reading says, he waits a good 7-10 days before throwing cigars in. 

So I wet down the inside again tonight, and am letting it sit for a third 24 hour period.  I'm looking for advice from you guy's.  When is it ready to store cigars?  At what humidity reading?  Thanks in advance..
I keep one humi at 70% and one at 60%.....seems to me that you are fine. I would say it is safe to put stogies in it. One reason you are getting a wide array of info is because everyone has their own way of doing things, Im going to say if you left the sponge in there for a day, you are set. What type of humi do you have by the way?
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
1st question.....What type of hygrometer do you have? (Analog or digital?)

2nd,  has it been calibrated?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
The wood is going to keep absorbing moisture until it can't hold anymore.  If you put cigars in too soon the wood will suck the moisture out of the cigars.  It usually takes a week to properly season a humidor.  The best way is to take a bowl of water and heat it in the microwave until it is steaming.  Place the bowl on a towel in the humi and close it.  Leave the bowl in there for 7 days heating the water once or twice every day.  After 7 days remove the bowl and leave the lid open for a day or two, then place a hygrometer in there with your humidifying device, if the humidor holds the RH you want for a few days you are all set, toss your cigars in.

I know it's a long process, but it's the only way to ensure your humidor is properly seasoned.  There is nothing worse then dealing with humidity problems in a humidor that wasnt properly seasoned.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:The wood is going to keep absorbing moisture until it can't hold anymore.  If you put cigars in too soon the wood will suck the moisture out of the cigars.  It usually takes a week to properly season a humidor.  The best way is to take a bowl of water and heat it in the microwave until it is steaming.  Place the bowl on a towel in the humi and close it.  Leave the bowl in there for 7 days heating the water once or twice every day.  After 7 days remove the bowl and leave the lid open for a day or two, then place a hygrometer in there with your humidifying device, if the humidor holds the RH you want for a few days you are all set, toss your cigars in.

I know it's a long process, but it's the only way to ensure your humidor is properly seasoned.  There is nothing worse then dealing with humidity problems in a humidor that wasnt properly seasoned.

Well said!

Also, make sure the water that you use is "DISTILLED"
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
To answer a few questions - it's a Savoy Humi, Tigerwood, small (I know, I know....).  The hygrometer is an analog type and I didn't do any type of calibration first.  Can you say Newbie? 

So I'll take the analog device out tonight and calibrate it.  It's not a large box and so I don't think I can get a bowl in there as someone mentioned.  Maybe a small sushi sized bowl.  So rather than use that technique, maybe I'll just continue soaking it with distilled water using a sponge.  I'll do that for 3 more days or so and THEN put the analog device back in and wait a day to see if the device measures what?  around 70? 

Am I getting close?
I would buy a digital device. 65 would be an idea setting for you.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I can find it on Walmarts site but i bought 2 hygro's from there and both have been working great. Might want to check at your local wally world and see if you can find one before ordering one and waiting for it to come in.  
If you can't fit a bowl, use a (clean) shotglass with distilled water and microwave that. 

Also, I know its difficult, but keep the lid closed - no peeking every few hours to check on whats going on in there.  Good luck.
yeah, i will throw a cheap plug for my company in here, check out radioshack's wireless sets. you can throw a sensor in there, and just watch what's going on on the base station, not needing to open and check. and you'll learn quick enough, those analog ones are just for aesthetics, certainly not for functionality. also, as far as i'm concerned, wherever you go from 62-70, you'll be fine. i keep mine a little "wetter" than many of the guys here, because  i like how they smoke there, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. enjoy!