Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recluse Review
So I'm new to forums been smoking for two years. I want to right reviews because I enjoy them so much and want to discribe them in words. I'm a consumer who enjoys smoking and do it as a hobby and passion. I know I'm not a pro but please take a look. This will be 1st of many posts to come if I get positive feedback. Picked this cigar because I had a friend tell me about it and it was hard to find. Took 1 week to find and 1 week to get it in the mail from Kentucky. Enjoy!

Iconic Leaf Recluse

Vital Stats:

Vitola: Robusto
Length: 5.0"
Ring Gauge: 52
Country of Origin: The Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
Binder: proprietary binder
Filler: Dominican Cuban seed criollo 98
Factory: Tabacalera Leyendas Cubanas T.L.C in Santiago Dominican Republica
Blender: J.R Dominguez
Number of reviewers: 1 ----- raiburn513
Price: $6.75
Age: 2 years done in Entubao the old school Cuban way of rolling cigars

Initial Impressions

Appearance: 94

"Firmly box pressed, and pretty average looking. No major veins, no major cosmetic flaws. Not bad."

Aroma: 92

I detected mostly floral notes and hay with subtle hints of cocoa. It was almost "sweet". The pre-light draw was very easy, almost too easy.

Construction: 96

"Nice and tight construction with no soft spots. The cigar appears well rolled.

First Third

Flavor: 93
Strength: Medium
Body/Complexity: Medium

"Cocoa, tea, tobacco with a light pepper on the retrohale. Not overly complex, but pleasant."

As the third progresses, I'm getting a lot of nuttiness, sweet cream, and sort of a barnyard-y character. It isn't very complex, but it is very pleasant. At the back end of this third, i'm starting to pick up some savory notes...almost a roasted meat flavor, with a bit of toasted nuts."

Second Third

Flavor: 94
Strength: Medium

"The ash fell at the beginning of the second third and the smoke is very prominent and creamy. The spices stand out much more. So far so good."

"Oh, hey, there's some spice here....cinnamon, clove, cracked black pepper...not overwhelming at all. It's more in the back of the throat, while the front of the draw, and the exhale/retrohale are still on the creamy side, although with a marked decline in sweetness, which isn't a bad thing. As it goes on, the retrohale is starting to really pick up on the peppery notes, while its still creamy and nutty/meaty on the palate.

Final Third

Flavor: 92
Strength: Medium-Strong

"The sweet chocolate flavor transitions in a dark bitter chocolate."

"While they aren't as prominent as during the second third, the spices are very much still present but begin to taper off and subtle hints of cocoa show great flavor.

Overall Impressions

Draw: 94

"Draw was slightly snug which is the way I prefer it."

Burn: 94

"Nice even burn all the way through, ash not very tight and couldn't hold for longer than a half inch or so."

"Excellent burn, no relights or corrections needed. Excellent ash retention."

Overall Experience: 93
Overall Strength: Medium-Strong
Overall Body: Medium

"Reliable and enjoyable, well made, and tasty. Certainly awesome! The complexity was above-average and left me wanting more. It is definitely one that any cigar connoisseur would love to have a few of in the humidor for their regular rotation. This cigar was fantastic."

Smoking Time (in minutes): 83

Total Score: 94 (Very Good)
Nice review.
Well done for the first.
Sounds like a good smoke!

I'm no review pro by any means - but here are the things I caught myself wishing for while reading that.

1) Pictures!
Not a requirement, but I love reviews with pics

2) I don't know that I understand your scoring method.
There were so many scores, and they changed often, and at the end that somehow resulted in an overall score.
IMHO there's a difference between REVIEWING and SCORING/RATING.
If you're going to go with a scoring method you need to make sure the methodology is consistent and not just totally subjective, and the people reading it need to understand it.
That being the case - although cool - it may be overkill for a forum post.
Just tell us what it was like, how it progressed, if you liked it, why or why not, etc. Plain language is fine. Smile

3) there seemed to be a few contradictory statements.
for example:
Quote:"Nice even burn all the way through, ash not very tight and couldn't hold for longer than a half inch or so."

"Excellent burn, no relights or corrections needed. Excellent ash retention."

But over all a very nice review.

And also... my opinion is worth as much as anyone's... zilch.
So take or leave any of the above suggestions as you see fit. Just keep enjoying cigars, and keep sharing the experience!

Welcome to the forum!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

> > Cigar Rights - Help Exempt Premium Cigars From FDA Regulation!

Nice review, informative.

We love to see pics in this forum..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
sounds like a nice smoke.
I really enjoyed the Reclusive I was gifted, would like to find more.
Gangsta
I'd love to try one of these. I have a buddy that picked one up and loved it.
I would suggest changing the username as to not show an email addy.