Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More mold help
I have read all the other threads but I have some questions about my situation.  I found small (real small) whit patches on 2 or 3 gars in a box of Mont. 2's and dip 2's (go figure:X) I brushed it off and the insidfe of the boxes, smoked a few, and put them all back. 

Thanks for the advice about quarantining Wingo, unfortunately I have no idea which ones they were so I will just keep an eye on them.

-Can the copper acctually sit in the tuperware with the beads?

-will this possibly kill it?
SaL Wrote:I have read all the other threads but I have some questions about my situation.  I found small (real small) whit patches on 2 or 3 gars in a box of Mont. 2's and dip 2's (go figure:X) I brushed it off and the insidfe of the boxes, smoked a few, and put them all back. 

Thanks for the advice about quarantining Wingo, unfortunately I have no idea which ones they were so I will just keep an eye on them.

-Can the copper acctually sit in the tuperware with the beads?

-will this possibly kill it?
If you were able to brush the white stuff off, it likel is not mold but Plume, which is good not bad.  Copper is supposed to help control mold growth but i dont believe it will kill existing mold.  Skipper seems to know a lot about this.
Mold brushed off. I have done it using a paint brush (outside). I also wiped them down with rags and it came off with just a little bit of rubbing. But, the taste will be way off!

The copper will not stop or even slow down the mold in your humidor. It slows the growth of mold in your humidifier. Any vessel with standing water in it will benefit from copper.

Putting pennies in with your beads will not only not help, but may alter the composition of the beads and affect their carefully synchronized RH.

Sorry to say your issue may have been too much humidity or not enough air flow or light.

After having more than my share of issues with mold, any cigars I get now, especially those without cello, will sit for 1 to 2 days before going into my humidor. I found that cigars without cello that go into the humidor already at 65-70% will get wet. I don't know why this is but I have my theories. And why do I emphasize the cello issue? Had anyone here EVER had mold on a cigar with cello? I have had around 6 episodes. 3 were major. In all cases only naked cigars were affected.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Mold brushed off. I have done it using a paint brush (outside). I also wiped them down with rags and it came off with just a little bit of rubbing. But, the taste will be way off!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"The copper will not stop or even slow down the mold in your humidor. It slows the growth of mold in your humidifier. Any vessel with standing water in it will benefit from copper.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Putting pennies in with your beads will not only not help, but may alter the composition of the beads and affect their carefully synchronized RH.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f" 

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Sorry to say your issue may have been too much humidity or not enough air flow or light.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"After having more than my share of issues with mold, any cigars I get now, especially those without cello, will sit for 1 to 2 days before going into my humidor. I found that cigars without cello that go into the humidor already at 65-70% will get wet. I don't know why this is but I have my theories. And why do I emphasize the cello issue? Had anyone here EVER had mold on a cigar with cello? I have had around 6 episodes. 3 were major. In all cases only naked cigars were affected.
Thanks alot skip.  Now that i know the preventative method can they be saved since I have brushed them all off and smoked the major victims, is it ok to put them back in the box and put them say at the top of the cooler as to aleviate to much humidity?  Thanks again.

Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:After having more than my share of issues with mold, any cigars I get now, especially those without cello, will sit for 1 to 2 days before going into my humidor. I found that cigars without cello that go into the humidor already at 65-70% will get wet. I don't know why this is but I have my theories.
Is it because some cigars are shipped overhumidified for the jorney?
one of my theories is the cigar gets more contact by skin which is covered in moisture attracting salts (not just sodium choride).

Have you ever noticed how a bunch of cigars (without cello) in a drawer sitting side-by-side for weeks one gets wet? What causes this? It has to be some sort of salt. Maybe the roller let a sweat droplet land on the wrapper while he was working in the hot "sweat shop" they call the rolling room. Who knows, but I am willing to bet there are more salts to be found in the wet stick than the others.

Cello seems to hold this off.
SaL Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Mold brushed off. I have done it using a paint brush (outside). I also wiped them down with rags and it came off with just a little bit of rubbing. But, the taste will be way off!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"The copper will not stop or even slow down the mold in your humidor. It slows the growth of mold in your humidifier. Any vessel with standing water in it will benefit from copper.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Putting pennies in with your beads will not only not help, but may alter the composition of the beads and affect their carefully synchronized RH.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f" 

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Sorry to say your issue may have been too much humidity or not enough air flow or light.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"After having more than my share of issues with mold, any cigars I get now, especially those without cello, will sit for 1 to 2 days before going into my humidor. I found that cigars without cello that go into the humidor already at 65-70% will get wet. I don't know why this is but I have my theories. And why do I emphasize the cello issue? Had anyone here EVER had mold on a cigar with cello? I have had around 6 episodes. 3 were major. In all cases only naked cigars were affected.
Thanks alot skip.  Now that i know the preventative method can they be saved since I have brushed them all off and smoked the major victims, is it ok to put them back in the box and put them say at the top of the cooler as to aleviate to much humidity?  Thanks again.

So skip do you think they will survive? (questions above)

the unaffected cigars? Sure.

They do hove mold spores on them so given the right conditions they will bloom, but I wouldn't worry.

I have constantly been touting the "dont sweat it" approach to cigars when you guy (especially Rob) gets all jittery about a 1% shift in humidity. I never worry about things like this, but mold gets me all bent. It is just 1 step below a beetle infestation. But the key here is diligence regarding checking. Keep a watchful eye. No stash should go 2 or 3 weeks unchecked.