Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punch Punch
I smoked my first Punch Punch this morning.  My results of smoking CC soon after getting them has been pretty hit or miss, so I had a little concern lighting one up after only having it for a couple of weeks.  Luckily, this cigar didn't have any of the bitterness that I experienced with some other fresh Cubans.  It was absolutely fantastic.  It didn't have any of the strong creaminess, sweetness, or spice that I look for in non Cubans.  Instead, it was very complex.  It had so many flavors, and they changed so often, that each draw kept me guessing.  I tasted a bit of mint and something I would describe as rose petal at one point.  All in all it was a great cigar.  I would rank it right below a Monte No 2.  At around $160 for a box of 25, these are a real winner.

Brad
That sounded great!  Smile

What was the date on the box?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:That sounded great!  Smile

What was the date on the box?
It was definitely a great cigar. 

No clue on the box code, as it was a single.  I have been trying lots of singles lately to try to identify boxes I want to purchase.  It was purchased from a fairly high volume dealer, so I am assuming the box was probably from 08 sometime.

Brad
A Punch PUnch.  I'm jealous.
Big Grin
Djaric Wrote:A Punch PUnch.  I'm jealous.
Big Grin
Send me your address, and you won't have to be.

Brad
I really like the Punch Line

[Image: cigars1894.jpg?t=1238975447]
There are some circles that suggest the Punch Punch has been making a comeback.  I have no idea as I've never smoked anything from the Punch line.

As to smoking off the truck as they say, my limited experience has shown that really 30 days at least and personally I'd say 60 days has been my experience before my sticks have been smoking good.

I should do what you have and buy more singles, but the other side of me wants to buy boxes and have more sticks for the money. 

The reality is I'd like to try something with 3+ years on it.  Everyone talks up this aging thing but I really have no concept.
nocsious Wrote:The reality is I'd like to try something with 3+ years on it.  Everyone talks up this aging thing but I really have no concept.
I am with you on that one.  I really wish I knew how much of a difference (and the type of difference) aging makes. 

My intention is to identify smokes that I like fairly well, and then buy a box and sample them every 6 months to determine how they are smoking. I also intend to buy boxes of popular smokes regardless of whether I have smoked them or whether I like them.  So far my list of Cuban cigars to buy that I like is short :
H. Upmann Magnum 46
Punch Punch
Montecristo No 2

My list of cigars to buy based on recommendations is:
Cohiba Robusto
Monte No 4
PSD

Brad
I love this cigar!  Great golf smoke!
Nice review, brad.

This happens to also be one of my least liked cigars as well.  Prior to 2002, Punch had 4 Corona gordas, Punch Punch, Black Prince, Royal Selection No 11 and Super Selection No. 2.  Unfortuneatly they dumped 2 of them in 2002, and one being the Black Prince which was the best of the 4 IMO.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]