Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Cigar Oasis
It keeps on reading 45.5 degrees when the hygrometer states it is at 61 degrees 67 humidity. Is something wrong with my Cigar Oasis? Its the red one with the distilled water refills.
Paging uncle T! I think he will be able to get you on the rite track [thumbsup]
i thought the oasis only read the humidity, i didn't know it read temp as well. well, at least my oasis doesn't read temp. have you calibrated your hygro recently? also, how close is it sitting to the oasis?
scott81425 Wrote:i thought the oasis only read the humidity, i didn't know it read temp as well. well, at least my oasis doesn't read temp. have you calibrated your hygro recently? also, how close is it sitting to the oasis?
that's what I thought. And most hygrometers will not read below 45%
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:i thought the oasis only read the humidity, i didn't know it read temp as well. well, at least my oasis doesn't read temp. have you calibrated your hygro recently? also, how close is it sitting to the oasis?
that's what I thought. And most hygrometers will not read below 45%
I think he means 45.5% on the Oasis.
I can't be much help because I only had and Oasis a couple of months before switching to beads.
for the record i can't speak to the technology of the thing as i'm no engineer, but i've owned about a half dozen and about 20 lbs. of beads.

to whit:  like the great doc says you use the co or something like it to replenish the rh quickly when you open the door / lid.  you then have the beads to buffer swings.

anyways.  each and every co has gotten funky on me at one time or other.  usually at about the 3 year mark.  simply put humidity and electronics just are a bad mix as a rule.  i've had the buttons fail where the contacts must be coroding.  you can bang away on them like john holmes on marilyn chambers and the thing ain't going anywhere.  other times the cartridges get all moldy.  cut out the foam and fill it with distilled and a copper fitting. 

they are calibrated for shit.  i've had ones off by 15%.  go by your hygro which you salt test and adjust the co accordingly.  screw what it says on top.  it's off.  they're entry level so so humidifying agents.  cost effective but not the be all and end all by any means.

to whit: if they're smoking fine, what does your hygro in the box say?
oops.  just reread your post again.  if your hygro says 67 and you've salt tested it that hold precidence.  screw what the co says.  if it's still under warranty call them and see what they can do.  at one point they were located over here on hempstead tpke. and made a set of custom wires for me.
they actually have really good customer service. mine went out like a month past it's warranty. i contacted the dealer i bought it from (bargain) and they told me too bad, so sad, if it had been a month earlier there would be something they could do. i contacted the company about it. without even asking when it was bought, or where it was bought, they said send it in and you'll have a new one within a week. they actually sent my replacement before even receiving mine. good people, give them a call.

and like rob said, they're not terribly accurate. i've used both it and the hydra and use your hygro to set your oasis. disregard what number you're setting it to, just keep moving up or down until your hygro reads what you want it to.
I picked up a refill for the Cigar Oasis from Amazon (8.00). I also have beads, humi gel (three on the bottom, two on the top). The temp is around 60 degrees in the large humidor @ 47%. The small humidor in the family room is at 64 degrees and 50%. So, all in all, it is increasing slowly. The cigars seem a bit more moist. Hope there is no long term damage. [cigar]
With new refill its working pretty well now. Even though, with beads, humi gel, and the Oasis, I cannot seem to get the temp over 60.