Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price Gaugers
The anejo sale thread got me thinking. So as many of you guys all know there are lots of other cigar boards out there and one small private one I'm also on there was a very heated conversation about selling cigars on boards. Well someone posted a link to someone selling all the Tat halloween boxes for $2500. Well one guy who has his own blog (I wont mention it by name cause he's not here to defend himself) doesn't see the problem with this. His stance was that if the market dictates something like a Tat Franks value is now $40 a piece so he says that he plans on selling them on a different forum for that price. He even admits he got them when they came out at MSRP. Now I've been on the forums for quite some time now as some guys know cause they too have been around a while too. Well one of the things that was always an unwritten rule was you don't make money off of a BOTL. One thing among many things that I like about this board is that there aren't a million sales in the BST section and no one in there is trying to make money off a brother. Sorry for the rant just had to vent a little.
Nice Rant Brother!
--Mike
I agree 100% with You Joe Thats just wrong , if you are a active brother on any board i dont have the Balls to ask you to pay me for a stick i would rather send it out to you first or do a trade and thats why i dont belong to no other boards except here.
I agree. The point of selling in the forums would be to unload your cigars for what you paid or even help someone get a good deal on some cigars. I know that other forums, such as pipe forums, are different but with cigars I believe it shouldn't turn into a huge money making "business". If anything a few dollars profit is fine if it is a hard to find gar or something but definitely not a HUGE profit like you mentioned before. Just my two cents though.
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein
I agree, however, it's a free country and people can do what they want.
If they come to this forum, we have Mahk to protect and warn the newbies.
I personally have gone out of my way and purchased boxes for botls and mailed them.
My guy at the smoke shop shakes his head when I ask him if I could have my price for some fellow botls. He always says yes.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I got to agree with you. Its hard to try to make a huge profit off of a BOTL. I do get to pick up some very decent sticks here and there but is rare I can afford an entire box. I work hard for the few bucks I make and never hesitate gifting out even the best of sticks I have.
Im a Moderator on a Pipe site and just sold off a bunch of pipes. I didnt get half of what I had vested in them but it was nice to know they went to where they would be appreciated. I did state that if they didnt sell they would go to CrapBay and yes, there I would ask a premium price. To my surprise almost all of them sold but as stated, Im glad they got a good home with a BOTL.
Branden

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi
(01-10-2011, 05:33 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I agree, however, it's a free country and people can do what they want.
If they come to this forum, we have Mahk to protect and warn the newbies.
I personally have gone out of my way and purchased boxes for botls and mailed them.
My guy at the smoke shop shakes his head when I ask him if I could have my price for some fellow botls. He always says yes.

Oh no I have no problem at all with getting guys cigars that cant get them weather it being just a simple "hey could you pick these up for me" or if its a sale. What I have a problem with is using the boards to buy say a box of limited stuff just to sell them to other members at inflated prices. Sadly a lot of that stuff lately revolves around Tat's and all the LE's. Some of the crazy things I've seen lately have been a box of borris for $225 that's almost $100 more than the guy paid same thing with the Face's. I defanitly agree its a free country but I always remembered the boards being a place that you don't try and profit from other members (unless you actually have a business then its all just what it is) but if you just joined the boards to sell cigars for more money then open a B&M
I'm not sure but I think that might of happen here once or someone gave a member a gift and they sold it.
Either way that person is no longer here.

Good point Joe and lets hope that never turns up here.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(01-10-2011, 06:14 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I'm not sure but I think that might of happen here once or someone gave a member a gift and they sold it.
Either way that person is no longer here.

Good point Joe and lets hope that never turns up here.

sorry if my original post wasn't clearer I was mad when I wrote it.

But ya now that you mention that another sale I recently saw was someone selling all the free stuff they got from a Tat event.
I agree....the boards are a place to meet & make friends & share our love of cigars. I don't like to chase things....I'm too out of shape right now Big Grin .... I've never had a Tat black, Borris, Frank, Face, or any of that LE stuff. If I stumble across it at a fair price, I'd buy some, but I'm not going to go crazy.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles