Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plume
How long does it take for Plume to develop on a cigar?  I have some older sticks and don't see it but can visit my local B&M and find sticks with it.  I think I know the difference between plume and mold and say the ones purchased at the B&M have plume, in fact even look for it in some cases thinking these are some good smokes.

So how long does it take?
Plume isnt something that takes a certain amount of time ...It comes from cigars being stored in optimal conditions . Seem that the more oily wrappered cigars are more prone to it also.
Usually a year or 2 and only under the right condition. I had 1 cigar in a box develop a slight bit of plume in a few months, but that was a freak.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Usually a year or 2 and only under the right condition. I had 1 cigar in a box develop a slight bit of plume in a few months, but that was a freak.
Ditto.  Takes a while. But my oh my, so worth it!
I've had it happen with some CAO Brazilias!  YUM!!Cool
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I've had it happen with some CAO Brazilias!  YUM!!Cool
YUMMYY! PM me for my addy!!  Oh, thats right!  You already have it!Tongue
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I've had it happen with some CAO Brazilias!  YUM!!Cool

If you need a review on one of those I would be happy to write one up after smoking one [cigar]

Thanks for the responses, guess I will see what happens and try to Zen some sticks into plume submission or at least think about it...LOL

Peace
The more oils in the wrapper,the more of a chance for plume/bloom as the oils dissipate through the wrapper. [rob]

Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, which is a bluish fungus that stains the wrapper.

Posted by Cigar Boss. Bloom, Plume, and Mold Bloom or Plume (same meaning) is a cigar term that describes crystallization due to the rising of tobacco oils from within the cigar to the surface. The air will then dry the excretion creating the crystallized or dusty appearance. Bloom / Plume can appear slightly different on various cigars because every manufacturer will use a different wrapper leaf, filler, curing process, etc.
Cigar bloom / plume will not effect the cigar taste. The discussion, or the need for the bloom / plume, is that the cigar must be resting for a good period of time under great conditions of temperature and humidity. Meaning aging has already played a role in the cigar you are about to smoke. Aging is a wonderful thing: Read this.
[Image: bloom.gif] [Image: plume.gif] Mold:
Cigar mold, like any other mold, is a fungus. Mold will generally appear on cigars when the relative humidity in the humidor surpasses 80%. Please do not get confused with the common misconception that mold is a certain color; mold can be green, blue, light yellow, and even white.
Visually cigar mold is more “fuzy” or “hairy”. If the scientist in you so wishes to see the spots up close you should really notice that there is a definitive structure to the mold. There will be stalks holding up additional spores that are waiting to “jump” and contaminate anything and everything nearby (isolate the infected cigars ASAP). Growth wise the cigar mold will grow in small clusters that causes a spotted look unlike bloom / plume that will cover the entire cigar.

[Image: cigar-mold.gif] [Image: cigar-mold2.gif] [Image: cigarmold3.gif] [Image: cigarmold4.gif]
Save the moldy cigars:
It may be possible to salvage the cigars if the mold is caught in its early stages. If however the mold is at the foot of the cigar, and we can presume inside the cigar - it can not be saved. Lightly wipe the cigars down with some alcohol (others have suggested water will do). Allow the cigars to rest at room humidity for approximately 36 hours and verify that the mold is not growing back. You may have to allow more time at room humidity before placing back into the humidor. Extreme measures can be used such as placing them in the refrigerator or freezer inside of an airtight tupperware container (cold temperature stops growth). If no mold reappears after the cigars have been re-humidified, you may smoke it.
Be careful with storing them in the freezer as you may “shock” the cigars and permanently ruin their taste. You may want to gradually step to the fridge, then freezer for a short period of time. Reverse the process to move them into a humidified state: Read This.
If the cigars were in the humidor:
The wood inside the humidor is now also susceptible to carrying mold spores inside the wood. You will have to remove everything from the humidor and wipe the entire interior down with isopropyl or denatured alcohol (start with a small amount). While this will kill any mold / mold spores in the wood. Be aware that this could also leave a slight stain on the humidor’s wood.

Your welcome. [rob]
All of this info Bluesman posted is readily avaliable online... yet I still see moldy cigars at B&M's - and they tell me it's plume [doh] and I do not buy them...