Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monte EL 06 Robusto

Went out with a friend on Tuesday of last week and he brought along a Monte EL06 Robusto.  He was on instructions to pick up a 2001 monte robusto, which I had earlier tracked down and even confirmed with the shop to check they had them in.

Anyway, when he got to the tobacconist it was a bit upside down with renovations, and the owner said they did not have 01's, only some monte robustos from 2000 (think these must have been the millenium issue), but for some reason he was persuaded from purchasing these by the owner who said they were too dry.  Instead he was recommended the 06, which was in my opinion way too wet.  Anway review goes as follows:

Cigar was not firm enough and did not have enough spring to it, due to being over humidified, although the prelight scent was classic monte - animal / barnyard aromas.  Prelight draw was a bit firm due to the wetness.

The first third was very pleasant despite the wetness.  The 2 yr aged wrapper gave this cigar a very distinctive taste that cannot be found in the regular line up - it reminded me a lot of a Monte C EL03 single I had tried a while back.  The best way I could describe what the aroma reminded me of is velvety leather mixed with earth, as it did have a kind of intangible mustyness.  The cigar burned straight although needed encouragement to stay well lit due to the wetness.  Med/full bodied.

The second third did not seem very different in taste to the first third, as the experience was dominated by the scent given off by the EL wrapper.  The cigar continued to burn reasonably straight, but it was beginning to become more difficult to avoid using the lighter.  At this stage I was ordering my second double shot of Laphroaig, and very much enjoying how both complimented each other. 

The last third was disappointing as I kept having to re-light the cigar - which also started to ruin the taste - as well as being annoying.  Even so, I could tell that this cigar would be a real treat with 3 years + ageing, and I would have loved to have stored it myself and smoked it at 65% RH.  The last third was pretty strong.

All in all, I enjoyed the smoke and would recommend it to others, although I wouldn't personally buy a box as they seem relatively overpriced.  Would give it 86/100 - but purely on the basis of this one off experience being blighted by the cigar being too wet.

Thanks Graham, I have smoked one of these and held off on another to give them a year. The OR of these in the jar..........is just....Smile
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
very nice review, g. sounds like a work in progress, as are so many cubanos when young. i think i agree on the price tag thing. more and more i understand what the wiser elders of the board have been hinting at for so long: that you can get just as good if not better smokes among lesser known brands or non-e.l. stuff.

though it still is a kick to pick up the occasional super special stick.