Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'98 Punch Punch
Seriously, as I pulled this stick out of my humidor, I really wasn't certain what to expect.  I know that sticks tend to get "past their prime" according to many of the more knowledgeable cigar smokers and I wasn't certain how much "mellowing" would have taken place.

First, the stick was smooth as silk when I held it in my hands and rolled it gently.  Construction...spot on!

Obviously, being Type A, I could bear to "clip" a "Punch"...so...out came the Colibri punch! Big Grin  That worked flawlessly.  I held it to my mouth and drew gently for the pre-light draw and knew this one was going to be perfect.

Lighting, not an issue during a 73 degree afternoon with absolutely nothing more than a light breeze.  Used my Colibri for that too!  (I know...matches probably would have been better Smile )

"What about the taste," you ask?  From the first puff there was plenty of smoke...volumes of tastiness!  I was thoroughly enjoying this bit of time by myself while I got caught up on my reading.

How long does this cigar last?  Well, I read "Private Family Foundations" and had time to set it down at the end and focus on NOT burning my fingers!  Yes, it was THAT GOOD!

1998...wow!  I wish I had a time machine to go back and pick up a couple hundred boxes of these!

Incredible, and to think I was able to enjoy it because of the generosity of a fellow cigar-smoker who bombed me with this after a trade we had made.  It amazes me even more, because these obviously aren't being MADE any longer! Smile  (The 1998s, that is!)

Very nice review.  generally not one of my favorite cigars, but then again, i never had a Punch Punch with 10 yrs of age on it.

[cigar]
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
nice review, sounds like a great afternoonCool
Thanks for the great review!

Good review

thx
Ten years old, that thing was probably right at its PEAK. Well aged, but time to smoke it up.

I have a couple boxes of stuff that have been sitting for years and I'm gonna do the same thing when I feel like they are close to peaking. MaduroDave has been eyeing the Siglo VI, Monte 2, and Fundy that are in deep freeze. He's gonna be real happy when they resurface.

Nice review on an aged classic. What did you think about the flavors? Was it just kind of a sublime, well-balanced smoke? Or did you pick out anything in particular?
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote:Ten years old, that thing was probably right at its PEAK. Well aged, but time to smoke it up.

I have a couple boxes of stuff that have been sitting for years and I'm gonna do the same thing when I feel like they are close to peaking. MaduroDave has been eyeing the Siglo VI, Monte 2, and Fundy that are in deep freeze. He's gonna be real happy when they resurface.

Nice review on an aged classic. What did you think about the flavors? Was it just kind of a sublime, well-balanced smoke? Or did you pick out anything in particular?
I'd go with more of "a sublime, well-balanced smoke..." that had plenty of body with a hint of spicy tobacco in the background that was more or less lost in the balance Big Grin     
Sounds like a very good smoke. Good to know that it still had some "meat" to it after all these years.