Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion needed
This past Saturday evening I purchased a special occasion cigar at a reputable cigar lounge and began enjoying it with drinks with fellow member Parkerplus. It lit well, smoked very well, then about half way through the stick it began to have trouble staying lit. At the remaining 1/3 mark it refused to stay lit despite massaging it a bit. It did still have a bit of draw to it. It didn't seem mushy like it was over humidified, was it plugged? I've never experienced this before.
I would have complained, but our time at the lounge was up as we had to quickly meet up with our s/o's for dinner.
Thoughts and remedies in case I experience this again?
I'm not as experienced as most here. I know I have occasionally gotten one like this. While you gave a decent amount of information...I dont know of any way we could answer it. Sometimes, you just get a bad stick.....

...moving along...nothing left to see here.
Was the en full of tar? Sometimes they develop a "tar bugger" at the end that makes it tough to suck through at the end. But if you cut a little more off, it can open it back up. Especially happens if you v-cut.
Doesn't sound like a plugged cigar. Most of the time a plug is evident on the first drawl. I think you are describing a tar build up and that can normally be cured by simply cutting off a little more to open it back up.
Sounds like tar too me.
--Mike
Tar has a foul taste too!
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
Come to think of it, it was a torpedo that they cut for me and they didn't cut much. There was a slightly harsh taste too, but at the time I had attributed that to cold smoke. Tar makes sense. I usually clip my piramides pretty high up the shoulder, should have stuck with that.
Thanks guys, great to be surrounded by experience! The next special day smoke doesn't stand a chance...
(02-28-2011, 09:15 PM)The542 Wrote: This past Saturday evening I purchased a special occasion cigar at a reputable cigar lounge and began enjoying it with drinks with fellow member Parkerplus. It lit well, smoked very well, then about half way through the stick it began to have trouble staying lit. At the remaining 1/3 mark it refused to stay lit despite massaging it a bit. It did still have a bit of draw to it. It didn't seem mushy like it was over humidified, was it plugged? I've never experienced this before.
I would have complained, but our time at the lounge was up as we had to quickly meet up with our s/o's for dinner.
Thoughts and remedies in case I experience this again?

You guys got together without me? Well, I guess that's what you get! Wink

IMO, a slow drawing cigar usually gives me trouble towards the middle. I'll usually massage it a bit, and if that doesn't work, I'll see if I have a bit more room to re-clip...I've had terrible cigars taste much better after clipping a bit more off..Tends to open it up, and burn it a little hotter.
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
I wish you were there Tim, you would have loved the place. Next time you're down here, we'll all have to head over and kill a few hours.