Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oliva Serie G Special "G" Cigar
JoeBob Wrote:Also, I could have sworn the Special G came in maduro at that B&M, but it's not listed on the Oliva website......
yup they come in maddies as well
JoeBob Wrote:I stopped by my local B&M last night on my way to swing dancing, and picked up a little itty bitty $2 Serie G, in the natural wrapper.

I smoked it in the car afterwards, and plan on picking up one of them in maduro before buying a box. Liked it a lot.

Lately I've been finding less and less time to smoke a longer cigar (especially with the dropping temperatures), so a little shorty like this seems to fit the bill perfectly.

very tastey!

At the store, I saw a different Serie G, VERY dark, box pressed. Now I'm regretting not picking that one up too.
You didnt like this cigar from the blind tasting.....yup, that was one of them....wont tell u which one yet though....but u didnt like it.

lol funny
Quote:You didnt like this cigar from the blind tasting.....yup, that was one of them....wont tell u which one yet though....but u didnt like it.

lol funny

Actually, when I was looking at all the different vitolas, I expected that might be the case.
Maybe it was the size...I do know that smaller vitola was much hotter than any of the cigars from the blind tasting. Or...could have been the fact that I was drinking coke-a-cola instead of the Crown.

Definitely looking forward to finding out the results of the tasting!
JoeBob Wrote:
Quote:You didnt like this cigar from the blind tasting.....yup, that was one of them....wont tell u which one yet though....but u didnt like it.

lol funny

Actually, when I was looking at all the different vitolas, I expected that might be the case.
Maybe it was the size...I do know that smaller vitola was much hotter than any of the cigars from the blind tasting. Or...could have been the fact that I was drinking coke-a-cola instead of the Crown.

Size has alot to do with it (ask my wife)

But when your doing a blind tasting, you tend to go into them picking it apart...I do the same thing...The G that I threw into there...is my FAVORITE size...I smoked 3 yesterday....I love that cigar
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:I had the pleasure of smoking one of these today thanks to Eric. 

Aesthetics:

This is obviously wherein the greatest appeal to this cigar lays.  The short story-esque shape is an eye catcher that belies the cost of this cigar.  The wrapper is nearly flawless showing very little veinage while displaying a warm tan color. 

Construction:

Absolute premium cigar construction that again stands in direct contradiction to the cost of this cigar.  No soft spots and an absolute razor sharp burn the entire length.  The ash held the entire length of the cigar.  When I did ash it, more out of curiosity than necessity, it displayed a long conical shape that I have only witnessed in the LGC Serie R Limited Edition Limitadas.  Broad at the base the cone rose to a distinct prominent spire at the very center of the cigar.

The ash was a tight white with no lines or fissures in it quite akin to a piece of chalk.  It also had the charateristics of the cigar ash Doc StogieFresh posted with regard to several small three dimensional white "egg" shapes around the entire perimeter of the spire.  A myriad amount of smaller, less prominent, "salt particle" shapes came to the forefront around the base of the cone. 

The draw was absolutely effortless and produced a copius amount of creamy smoke.  In contrast to it's small shape there was absolutely no warmth near the end of the cigar even down so far as the last half inch.  Quite unexpected and impressive considering that several cigars of this size seem to draw warm near the end.

Flavor and Strength:

The prelight draw and aroma was a full cedar flavor. 

The cigar tasted predominantly of black coffee at the start developing to an espresso toward the middle finishing with a cinamon-esque finish with plenty of nose spice.  Along the experience on several occassions vanilla notes accented the coffee flavor.       

At no point was the flavor bitter or overwhelming as it carefully balanced the coffee flavor over the length of the smoke.  The tongue had quite a bit of cinamon sizzle and the throat a full taste of fresh brewed premium black coffee.

General Comments:

An absolutely amazing cigar that should retail for more than it does.  Attractive enough to stand beside the more costlier premiums it matches any premium blow for blow in terms of performance and flavor.

This cigar would seem to benefit from some aging to allow the flavors to balance out more as the coffee flavor allows more room for the vanilla and cinamon notes.

I smoked the cigar with no libation as I was fixing the halloween lawn ornaments.  I would be quite interested to seem how this would go with a black sambuca.  I used a v-cutter to notch it.

Overall a very good cigar that becomes excellent in consideration of its price.               

couldnt have had a more different experience at the halfway point of my exoerience.  burned hot and harsh and awful!  Really ruined what seemed to be great promise!

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Wookin Pa Nub Wrote:
JoeBob Wrote:

lol funny

Size has alot to do with it (ask my wife)

But when your doing a blind tasting, you tend to go into them picking it apart...I do the same thing...The G that I threw into there...is my FAVORITE size...I smoked 3 yesterday....I love that cigar
Which one is your favorite?  I've been wanting to try both the maduro and natural.